Thread: Adidas Terex X-King

Adidas Terex X-King

After completely wearing out my mudclaws, i fancied a try of something different.

Saw these in the shop, and they have a 'mountain bike tyre' tread to the bottom of them. I'm not one for gimmicks, and my poor abilities as a fell runner hide the fact that I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I was dying to find something wrong with them.

I bought them for the fact that I hoped the grip would be good, but hopefully a bit more cushioning than the mudclaws, an ideal combination I'm sure most would agree.

Took them for a test drive today, from Ambleside, up to Scandale Pass and Red Screes. On the stony route up the pass via Sweden Bridge, they felt to give a little more protection than the mudclaws against the stony ground. Felt promising as the ground got ever softer and soggier up to Scandale pass and onto Red Screes itself.

A swift yet not manic descent down the south ridge (Summit cairn to the door of the Golden Rule in 29 minutes) and they coped very well with the sodden slippy terrain. At one point I skidded on a rock and nearly went flying, but suspect that would've happened in any footwear. The final half mile down the road was not ideal, but certainly more comfortable than my previous choice of footwear.

So have I found the 'ideal fell shoe'? Well they seemed to cope well with just about anything, I felt incredibly confident ploughing through just about everything except for the greasiest rocky sections. They are certainly not quite as 'flat to the ground' as a mudclaw, but for a southern softy like me who can perhaps forgoe the minimum amount of drop for a little extra comfort, they seemed to fit the bill.

Anything I don't like? Well the lacing system is identical to the salomon shoes, I had to retighten them after half a mile, and for the first 45 mins or so I was never quite sure they were staying tight, but it's the first time I've used that system and by the end of the run I'd totally forgot about it.

Oh yes, the price. Think it was £120, which is a bit much for a 'gamble', but I remain positive after today.

Got Wasdale in them tomorrow, which should provide a much sterner test, and I will report back with my thoughts...

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 08-07-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Quick post-Wasdale update.

In short, very impressed.

Coped admirably well with most things on a foul day. Felt pretty confident on the slippy descent down the screes, a couple of slips, but everyone was sliding all over the place.

Didn't feel full of confidence on the real rocky stuff near Pillar in a dangerous wind, but they were competent enough certainly up to the level of a mudclaw over the rock.

Only time I completely lost my footing was coming down the flagstones towards Black Sail when my legs went from underneath me, although the flagstones were more like a waterfall than a path.

Lacing system was fine, comfort was good.

Hoping that the seemingly good grip lasts, as they are basically a tyre tread on the bottom, so hopefully not going to wear down too quickly, but I'll reserve my judgement on that for a couple of months.

They are perhaps a slightly wider and shorter fit than a mudclaw (I am size 10 in both), and they are not available in half sizes.

They look pretty sexy as well...!

How do these compare to the mudclaw/x talon in the midsole, due to a foot injury am after a shoe with a fairly stiff midsole, also whats the drop ? Cheers.

The drop is 6mm.

The midsole is certainly more substantial Than a mudclaw, and I would say it is stiffer too. I believe the midsole is removable but it seems fairly well fixed into the shoe.

I would add that I've only ever used mudclaws previously on the fells, so I perhaps don't have the best knowledge in comparison to other brands...

I've got Lakes In A Day 50 miler coming up where the 1st half is pretty much fell, and the 2nd half from Ambleside to Cartmel is pretty much trial with quite a bit of road. There's an option for a drop bag at Ambleside, so currently I'm thinking of fell shoes 1st half and then put on some Peregrines for 2nd half. But I'm intrigued by these shoes - could they suit the full mix of terrain - fell, trail, paths and Tarmac?

Personally I would say they are more like pure fell shoes. after wearing them solidly for some tough races, I'd say they are very good on the fells, but I certainly wouldn't want to run a long way on Tarmac, any more than I would in any other pair of fell shoes. But yes they have more comfort than say a mudclaw and would also be fine on the trails. Not Tarmac though in my opinion.

Ok, cheers. May still bag a pair, not bought any new trainers for a few weeks ...

These look very good

Any idea on sizing - fit as expected ? Whats the width like

I love a new shoe, me

Size seem to run as normal to me. Although should be noted they don't do half sizes.