Thread: Tor Mile

Tor Mile

Along with the likes of Burnsall Classic, Grasmere Sports, Rivington Pike and Eccles Pike, to name but a few, Tor Mile can also lay claim to being one of the oldest fell races still in existence.

It's fair to say Tor Mile is the poor relation amongst these other 'oldies'...albeit in race number participants only. The course itself certainly holds its own. The numbers may start to increase now that host club Rossendale Harriers have made this little gem more public. I think this year is the first time it's been featured in the FRA calendar, I could be wrong....I often am.

Unsurprisingly the majority of runners were from Rossy, with a few exceptions. I'd made the shortish drive over from Chorley with my teammate Bill, who only a few hours earlier had been out with family celebrating his birthday. Bill's race prep wasn't exactly text book...a 3 course meal pre race almost made a reappearance during the race...what a birthday treat that would've been.

We had time to recce the race route after arriving in plenty of time. Nothing complicated navigation wise....basically run out along a track then climb gradually across a field to the foot of the hill. It's now your choice of whether to go straight up or traverse up the shoulder all the way to the top. It's simply then a case of rounding the summit flag and returning the same way....done and dusted in 1.7 mile.

During the race only local runner Pat Brennan took the traverse option and gained little on the climb but made haste on the descent with the traverse being more runnable. The straight up and down approach was definitely shorter but trickier underfoot. I suppose it depends on how crazy your descending skills are over rough terrain.

Note to myself: to the annoyance of family and friends but for the benefit of my running...be more crackers!

So, if your idea of fun is a no nonsense blast up and down a hill then Tor Mile gets a massive tick. Kids races are also ran before the senior race...akin to the Bofra's in both race style and set up.

Thanks to Rossy Harriers for sharing with us their golden oldie.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

excellent post Darren and my stomach has just about forgiven me :-)