Thread: Feet during an ultra

Feet during an ultra

I have now done two ultras both over 30 hours long. During both my feet have become wrecked which slows me down considerably. Blisters being the main issue on the balls of my feet and heals - particularly after lots of descending down rocky paths

So is there anyway to avoid this? My shoes and sock combination are fine in training and I use sudocream while I run - at check points I clean my feet and reapply sudo.

What else can I do or do I just have to accept it will always happen?

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    I have now done two ultras both over 30 hours long. During both my feet have become wrecked which slows me down considerably. Blisters being the main issue on the balls of my feet and heals - particularly after lots of descending down rocky paths

So is there anyway to avoid this? My shoes and sock combination are fine in training and I use sudocream while I run - at check points I clean my feet and reapply sudo.

What else can I do or do I just have to accept it will always happen?
    I've found Drymax socks to be pretty good. I don't think there's a magic solution though.

Super Moderator
    Another shout for Drymax socks. I've had a couple of weekends (wet) walking recently - 17 miles in an afternoon the weekend before last, and 42 miles in two and a bit days last weekend. Drymax worked really well both times
    Poacher turned game-keeper