Thread: Poles for ultras

Poles for ultras

Having done a couple of Ultras in europe I realised I was way in the minority by not using poles.

What are the benefits of them? They just look like a pain to have to carry around with you all the time

And the tick tick ticking noise on rocks must drive you bonkers

Anyone use them and why?

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    Having done a couple of Ultras in europe I realised I was way in the minority by not using poles.

What are the benefits of them? They just look like a pain to have to carry around with you all the time

And the tick tick ticking noise on rocks must drive you bonkers

Anyone use them and why?
    Agree!

The reason to use them is to spread / transfer some of the load from your legs to your arms and upper body. Interestingly Killian used them at Hardrock this year, I don't think he did on the previous 2 CW and ACW record setting races. I suspect it was down to his lack of proper running training. He trained mainly on high mountaineering routes and Skimo. I have never used them, but if you do UTMB they don't half get on your nerves. It feels like a case of "if you can't beat them, you may as well join them" at UTMB. Don't intend to use them anytime soon though.

They are useful uphill as you can put a bit into your arms and spare your legs a bit. I used them on the V3K and they were much appreciated on the Glyders and Pen yr Ole Wen. Never used them on descents as I can't get the hang of it and I don't think 150 grams of aluminium will stand the strain of a 13 stone lump bearing down on them! Horses for courses - what the point of using them on the flat is I can't fathom. If you can work out a way of stashing them quickly after big hills so they don't annoy you might be worth giving them a try, you can also borrow some to suss it out I guess.

I've just come back from the Eiger Ultra where I did the short 35km variant. In that, I reckon about half the field used them; they're just big in Europe. With that said, I don't think that many of the first say 20 runners used them - perhaps a couple, but far less than 50%. I appreciate 35km is at the shorter end of what they're designed for/useful for though, which probably explains why it was the weaker runners using them (or being more susceptible to the marketing...).

I was in the 50% that didn't use them (and finished in the top 20), but ironically would have quite liked them. That's simply because I hadn't done nearly enough training, particularly on the long hills you find in the Alps and so was really suffering on the ascents - I think poles would have helped. But as everyone says, they're a pain in the arse on the flat and descent...

If I were to do a longer-distance Alpine race (ie with the same long hills), then I would seriously consider using them - but probably wouldn't for 35km again, nor in the UK.
    Last edited by Ed Sned; 26-07-2016 at 01:19 PM.

I'm off to do the Devil O' the Highlands (42 mile ultra) weekend after next and they're band under Scottish Athletics rules; not that I'd personally want to use them.

I agree - they are a pain and the click, click drives you mad - BUT once you're legs have gone or you suffer an injury they are life savers. I managed to get to the end of the UTMB with shin splits after only 30 miles by relying on poles and have used them elsewhere when my legs have gone. in those circumstances they are brilliant. they are also very good in the dark on difficult ground and can help to keep you upright. in summary, I use them only when I have to.