Thread: Aug 1st - Aug 5th recces

Aug 1st - Aug 5th recces

Hi guys,

I'm up in Keswick all next week, recceing one leg per day, so if anyone fancies company on a leg, let me know.
    When the fells call, they scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm up in Keswick all next week, recceing one leg per day, so if anyone fancies company on a leg, let me know.
    I was down there last week - managed to get three decent recces in - bit gutted we didn't go a week later otherwise I would have gone with you. Just out of interest when are you having a crack at it - I'm doing it next year.

Yes, I saw your message but sadly, the flights were booked a long time ago.

Provisionally, weather permitting, my attempt is set for Aug 19th at 8pm.

How were the recces? What was the most surprising thing? I'm having to fit all my recceing into one week, so it's not ideal.

Recces

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    Yes, I saw your message but sadly, the flights were booked a long time ago.

Provisionally, weather permitting, my attempt is set for Aug 19th at 8pm.

How were the recces? What was the most surprising thing? I'm having to fit all my recceing into one week, so it's not ideal.
    The Recces were good. The first day I managed to look at the start section on the clockwise route - up Skiddaw and had a look at the line over to Great Calva. The second day I ran from Keswick and looked at the road section and trail section on leg 5. I also did Robinson and Hindscarth but anticlockwise. Third day I looked at the line coming down off Blecanthra (leg 1). Overall I now feel confident with the navigation of legs 1 and 5 anyway. I will definitely need to get down again to look at trickier legs 3 and 4 and also to look at Leg 2.

The most suprising thing for me was the terrain as you come closer to the summits. A lot of bouldering and paths not too clear (e.g off Robinson and off Blencathra). Recceing is invaluable and it has just given me the bug to want to get back and do some more (its five hours for me though as I live in South Wales so will be doing most of my training in the beacons and black mountains).

I hope your week goes well - let me know!

Cheers

Good work. It's important to know the route intimately, I was out on leg 2 yesterday and met a young lady who blithely announced she was doing a recce of legs 1 and 2. She thought she was on Nethermost Pike when she was actually on High Crag (she didn't like hearing that) then ran on to what she thought was the Dollywaggon summit (it wasn't) before heading down to Grizedale Tarn. If that had been a real attempt, I'd have called a Fail.

The lesson here is to make your recces count and be sure of your position.

Leg 1 on Sunday, aided and abetted by the indefatigable keswicksimon of these here parts. Still managed to take a tumble in the heather coming down Doddick Fell.

Leg 3 yesterday. Fine until Scafell Pike and then came down Lingmell Col instead of Mickledore. Bugger.

Leg 4 today in the clag and rain. Couldn't see the summit of Kirk Fell, never mind which flipping gully to take. Had a crack at one, but could only get so far. Came back down and Black Sail Passed it round to Beck Head. Better safe than sorry. I will never forget climbing Pillar in conditions that could only be described as waterboarding.

All in all, bloody marvelous.

Have you taken a look at lords rake after the rockfall?

It's passable, David. My wife navved an attempt up the West Wall Traverse on Saturday morning.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.