Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cycling

Smile Cycling

Two great results this weekend:

Mollema winning the San Sebastian Classic at a canter. (If you don't know why that is great you weren't really watching the Tour).

Boonen winning that London-Surrey thing. Tom is one of the greatest ever one-day classic riders and it is an honour for the UK to have a rider of his quality (eg Paris-Roubaix winner in 2005/8/9/12. No-one has won more) riding on its streets.

The Daily Telegraph, which purports to take cycling seriously, seemed to think the most interesting aspect of the Southern race was Froome posing for selfies mid-race and Thomas setting of on a suicide solo 50 km from the finish: but then Boonen isn't British.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Two great results this weekend:

Mollema winning the San Sebastian Classic at a canter. (If you don't know why that is great you weren't really watching the Tour).

Boonen winning that London-Surrey thing. Tom is one of the greatest ever one-day classic riders and it is an honour for the UK to have a rider of his quality (eg Paris-Roubaix winner in 2005/8/9/12. No-one has won more) riding on its streets.

The Daily Telegraph, which purports to take cycling seriously, seemed to think the most interesting aspect of the Southern race was Froome posing for selfies mid-race and Thomas setting of on a suicide solo 50 km from the finish: but then Boonen isn't British.
    Totally agree. A fantastic result for cycling regardless of how it was reported. Tom boonen is a true great and of course sadly overlooked by mainstream British media but what 'G' thought he was doing, God only knows.
    Last edited by PeteS; 01-08-2016 at 10:59 PM.

stretching his legs before getting on the plane to Rio, I suspect - nothing more. Much as I'm a huge fan of Boonen too, I don't think many of the pro peloton lose too much sleep over the RideLondon Classic - although the prize money is pretty serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sned View Post
    stretching his legs before getting on the plane to Rio, I suspect - nothing more. Much as I'm a huge fan of Boonen too, I don't think many of the pro peloton lose too much sleep over the RideLondon Classic - although the prize money is pretty serious...
    I agree but, as you say, it offers the highest prize money pool of any one-day Classic and "a win is a win".

undercover moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    but then Boonen isn't British.
    Don't be silly, Tom rides for Essex-Kwikfit, and you don't get more British than that.

Next thing you'll be telling me that Norfolk farmer Tony Martin isn't a real Brit.

And thinking of being British: what's all this fuss about testing our own dear Lizzie?

Don't they know she is English? And from Yorkshire? In fact just down the road from me in Otley?

Have these people never looked at a map of the world and seen how much is coloured red? It's outrageous.

No wonder Lizzie rides for a er...Dutch team and lives in...Monaco.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-08-2016 at 10:55 PM.

and had very good reasons for missing 3 tests in 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
    and had very good reasons for missing 3 tests in 12 months
    From what I have seen she has missed one test recently connected to some family issues that she doesn't want to go in to.

1 miss wasn't a miss as the testers didn't do enough to try and take the test and the athlete was not obstructing them - hence it has been negated.

1 miss wasn't a test, she just wasn't where she was supposed to be - no one turned up to test her but it still counts against.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I agree with Graham. Boonen is one of the great riders. P-R ,Tour of Flanders and the spring classics in general is where the best racing is these days.

As for Lizzie, the problem is that deliberate avoidance and errors look the same. But three in a year?

Banned
    [QUOTE=Deadlegs;62653

As for Lizzie, the problem is that deliberate avoidance and errors look the same. But three in a year?[/QUOTE]

Aye, that's the way I see it too. Make 3 massive errors at work and the road to the job centre beckons in the real world.