Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Aye, that's the way I see it too. Make 3 massive errors at work and the road to the job centre beckons in the real world.
    yep im with nicole cooke on this one . would like to know cl thoughts on this ?

Banned
    Olympic road race live on BBC1 now.

Greg van Avermaet

After all the hype: it's true grit that matters.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Greg van Avermaet

After all the hype: it's true grit that matters.
    Cracking ride by him. I thought with 10km to go it would be him as he has that never say die attitude and the finish to boot.

Alaphilippe looks like he may have caused the Thomas crash as he was descending in front of him the last shot they had and he looked a bit bashed up as if he'd had a scrape himself. Similarly Nibali looks to have done for Henao.

Be ironic if the final 15k was messed up a bit by two of the best descenders.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I think some of the favourites were unstuck by the rawness of that descent. They probably ride in a bit of a bubble and don't often see such claustrophobic and dangerous sections. The tree cover was dense, there were blocks of concrete everywhere and i'd suspect the surface wasn't totally consistent and a bit greasy in places with the most dense canopy. Froome looked like a one trick pony today. I was really rooting for Majka, he seemed to have played his cards well coming down and deserved to stay clear.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Dreadful crash for the leading Dutch girl on the final descent, it looked a bad one, hope she is ok.

The reason women's cycling receives so little TV coverage and sponsorship is that is often so dull...if only all races could be like today's Olympic road race.

Having said that, I agree with Chris Boardman that the lack of safety provision for the final descent was outrageous.

Christ, there's just been a terrible high speed crash in the women's race, one of the Dutch girls. 20 secs or so after when the bike came past she still wasn't moving, i really hope she's ok. Boardman's right to be angry about the lack of protection on the outsides of the bends, i reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The reason women's cycling receives so little TV coverage and sponsorship is that is often so dull...if only all races could be like today's Olympic road race.

Having said that, I agree with Chris Boardman that the lack of safety provision for the final descent was outrageous.
    Pretty scant wasn't it? I just think they haven't got the cash, end of.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Pretty scant wasn't it? I just think they haven't got the cash, end of.
    Cash? They had enough for the opening ceremony. Riders die in crashes like we saw ; nobody dies carrying a flag round an arena.