Thread: Running with a hernia...

Running with a hernia...

Not looking for medical advice, was checked by GP and waiting for consultant and will be guided by him. Fingers crossed it "holds together" until end of IMRA season though.

Anyone else have one? How long were you out? Was the return a slow build up or straight back into it after the usual 6 weeks?

I'm beginning to wonder about this running lark. Spent 20 years drinking and never had an injury, baby arrived 18 months ago, social life ended and running times improved greatly. But in that time have had kidney stones which I put down to running long distance without hydrating properly, have a crocked heel from a rock on a flying descent, a completely dislocated right finger ring from a fall on bog, a badly damaged left finger ring from a fall on a descent where the ring caught on a rock...and now a hernia... But I guess that's the price of running mountains...

I have one (possibly a double!?) Inguinal Hernia which I've had for about 8 years. It (they) give me very little concern to be honest! Went to doctor for the first one and she said come back if it becomes seriously painful. It never has! I'm guessing yours might be worse?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Mine are relatively painless too. Went to Consultant yesterday. He wasn't unduly concerned, said I had 2 and would need an op but said it would be fine to wait until after the running season, so will be going under the knife in November. Did purchase compression gear, tonight will be the first night training in it. Seven Sevens on Saturday, don't want to aggravate it.