Thread: Pack capacity

Pack capacity

I've signed up for an ultra in a few months and have a few niggles with my current pack (OMM Ultra 12) and looking at the mandatory kit list it seems a bit overkill having the full 12L capacity anyway, so I'm considering a different pack. My main question right now though is capacity - I want to draw up a shortlist of packs to try on but don't know how big I need.

The kit list consists of waterproof/windproof jacket (probably a Berghaus Hyper smock), 500ml fluid (bottles for me), foil blanket, food & gels, very basic first aid kit, hat, gloves, phone, head torch.

I'm thinking 5-6 litres capacity should be enough for the above? Or do I need to go bigger?

And any obvious packs spring to mind? I'm looking at a vest pack with front bottle pockets and a few little pockets within easy reach for gels/hat/gloves etc without needing to root around in the main back pocket.

From what I've tried Salomon are the most comfortable, and Ultimate direction are the most practical in terms of pocket placement. I've got a UD Scott Jurek 3.0 which has a total capacity of 8.5 litres, but cinches down really well when it isn't full and you can't really notice the difference in size and weight between this and the UD Olsen vest which is a bare minimum race vest. Where are you located? Ultimate direction have a few stockists that are test centres so you can try for a couple of days before you buy. There's a charge for this of course but this will be deducted from the price of the product if you choose to buy.

"That was the night everything changed"

I've used the original Ultimate Direction SJ vest and it's ok, but you have to get the sizing spot on. I lost a kilo or two after buying mine and now it bounces too much to use over more than a few miles unless the back is heavily packed.

I did a 55km in the Lakes a few weeks back with an Osprey Rev 6 - which I also use for running back and forward to work every day, It worked well but I was only carrying one bottle on the front and felt a bit lopsided at the end of the day. Osprey do have a lifetime warranty on their packs and the construction of them is pretty bombproof.

This video has me hankering after a S-LAB Sense Ultra Set though...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I did a 55km in the Lakes a few weeks back with an Osprey Rev 6
    PS - There's a good review of the Osprey Rev 6 on iRunFar http://www.irunfar.com/2015/01/osprey-rev-6-review.html

No UD test centres near me unfortunately but a one or two stockists that I'll be paying a visit to.

That Osprey pack seems to get mixed/negative reviews and falls down on one of my basics - accessibility. I want to be able to get to everything except the emergency items whilst on the move, and I'm not bothered about having a bladder. Shame as I like Osprey walking packs.

The clip above about packing is very interesting however, and makes the Salomon seem really appealing. And certainly puts the capacity question into context.

I've drawn up a bit of a shortlist:
    Montane Via Fang 5 (new version with soft bottles)
    UD Scott Jurek 3.0
    UD Timothy Olsen 3.0
    Salomon Sense Ultra
    Salomon S-Lab Advanced Skin 3 5

I can find stockists reasonably close by of all but the Montane pack. But on the face of it can't really see a good reason to go for the S-Lab Adv over the Sense Ultra (picking between the two) - twice the weight, similar design. Am I missing something?

The comment above about the UD SJ over the TO does seem to make sense from a flexibility perspective - 35g isn't much at all. But I have heard some reviews mention is bouncing about if the fit is a bit out.
    Last edited by tenohfive; 05-08-2016 at 04:34 PM.

I have an Inov-8 Race Ultra 10 Vest which has ample capacity you kit list. I used it for the Lakeland 50 and it worked really well - better than my legs did.

I have a Montane Dragon 20 which i bought to replace a 30 litre Inov8 bag which was too big for MMs and a 10 litre Ultraspire vest jobby which is too small for a winter's day out and was uncomfortable after 2 hours or so. I know this is bigger than you want but I find the strap design extremely comfortable and even when 1/4 full it doesn't bounce around. Very solid construction and it hasn't given me shoulder/neck pain like the Ultraspire did. If I was in the market for a smaller one my money would be on Montane for sure.