Thread: Non-ultra pack

Non-ultra pack

So I see there's a couple of pack threads but they're not really answering the question I have. I've currently got the common waist-pack and this works out fine for short/medium runs carrying minimum kit etc. However I'm finding that on longer runs, even when I tighten the pack nice and good it ends up chafing my back to the point I lose skin. And it doesn't carry a water bottle.

So I've been seeing lots of running folk with nice handy ultra vests on and it was my birthday recently so thought I need one of those but I'm not even a 20-mile fell runner yet. So what I need are some suggestions on what a good pack vest is that will carry those handy 2 front water bottles, lots of handy accessible pockets, will carry my kit, keep my car keys safe, and not bobble around on my back.
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

I use inov8 race ultra 10.

Carry two lucozade type bottles in the side mesh pockets, there's front pockets for compass, keys, gels, mint cake, maps. Then I chuck everything else in the back. Easily enough room for kit and spare clothing on top of that. Compresses down as well.

Upgraded from a bumbag myself due to similar issue on longer races, very glad I did. Actually bought it 2nd hand off here as they are quite expensive, but a quick look on google and it's possible you might get one for around 60 quid now...

Do you mean you don't want a minimal race vest such as a sense set 3, or Olsen vest? And you are looking for something more substantial such as a Jurek vest?
    Or do you mean you want something that fits like a vest but resembles a pack, and carries more kit?
    "That was the night everything changed"

Well I need to have a look at these recommendations now. I definitely need a pack that would carry minimum kit, so do minimal vests not hold much? I'm probably looking for a vest type fit but with pack type space.

For an idea of how much space you need have a look at this video (helpfully posted in my thread) - minimum kit which will all fit into a 3L vest:

https://youtu.be/URBDZC6C1vM

Quote Originally Posted by John Peel View Post
    Well I need to have a look at these recommendations now. I definitely need a pack that would carry minimum kit, so do minimal vests not hold much? I'm probably looking for a vest type fit but with pack type space.

I see you're in Stockport so I'd reccomend you take a short drive over to Accelerate in Sheffield, go speak to Stuart and he will sort you out with the right pack for your needs. They have race vests/packs from salomon, ultimate direction, mountain hardware, inov8, scott, patagonia and others so should have something that covers what you want. They are also a utlimate direction test centre so if you want to try one of there packs you can hire them for a small charge for a couple of days and this fee would be taken off the final cost of a ud pack if you buy one.

http://www.accelerateuk.com/shop/cat...s-and-Pouches/

Ultimate Direction AK race vest. Ditch the crappy bottles it comes with and get some soft flasks. The stretchy mesh back takes loads of stuff in it, mine sees use on the mtb as well.

Amazingly Jim Mann used one on last years Rab MM fitting 2days worth of (ultra minimal) kit and food in it.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Ultimate Direction AK race vest. Ditch the crappy bottles it comes with and get some soft flasks. The stretchy mesh back takes loads of stuff in it, mine sees use on the mtb as well.
    Sounds like you've got one of the earlier Krupicka packs if it come with the solid bottles. Should be noted that in the latest UD season Krupicka and Jurek have essentially swapped packs with the old AK 2.0 now being the SJ 3.0 and the old SJ 2.0 now being the AK 3.0 I imagine this change is due to the massive change in activity for Anton Krupicka over the past year.

SJ 3.0:
    AK 3.0:

I've got the current SJ pack and I've been very happy with it thus far. However I would like the TO for shorter hotter days were only the bare essentials are required, and the AK for winter - but I love kit so its hardly surprising that I think that way.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 07-08-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Well having looked at all those links, thank you very much, it is definitely between the SJ3 and the AK3. Depends on how many accessible pockets I want.
    Does the AK 3 really hold 500ml soft bottles, the bottle pockets look much smaller than the SJ3 bottle pockets.

I feel this discussion now just merges into http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...-Pack-capacity