Thread: tomtom runner

tomtom runner

Hi all
    Just after a new budget sort of watch, only really bothered about pace, avg pace, distance and maybe at looking where I've been when I get home
    I've seen the tomtom runner and wondered had anyone had one and if so A; any good, and B; is the gps very reliable in areas like the peak district?
    thanks

My missus has the Runner, I've got the Runner 2 Cardio. She's not that technically minded and finds it easy to use (she only wants the basics mind) and has used in the Lake District and Carinthia; the only time there was ever an issue was when she didn't update the QuickGPS for over a week (and that was in the flat south of the UK.)

I've used the newer Runner 2 in the Lakes, fairly deep in the Austrian Alps and in Snowdonia - the GPS has always been reliable.

The menu system for both is pretty simple - go right to select something, left to go back, and up and down to scroll through your options. Takes a bit of getting used to after being spoiled by iPhones etc but you adjust from touch screen technology quite quickly.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Both me and Mrs S have one and they are great as long as you remember to download the quick gps otherwise you same to wait an eternity. Reliable otherwise and syncs with most Web based running logs E.g. Strava, run keeper etc. If you plan to use the the mobile app (allows you to sync over Bluetooth) check compatibility carefully. It worked occasionally when I first had my Sony z3 but no more after an android upgrade. That said I've found it to be a good bit of kit and battery life is very good.

I find the bluetooth connection with my andorid phone a nightmare, it is so frustrating getting it to start to sync. Usually once it does sync it completes OK. The watch itself works great. I done and 10 hr outing with it yesterday and it worked spot on.

Thanks for the replies...sounds good for the money, so I will get one

I got one pretty cheap - probably from the same place as you! I like the read-ability of the display. I use contact lenses when I run and often couldn't read the screen of my old Garmin. I also like the built-in heart rate monitor, which is pretty reliable. It syncs ok with my Iphone.
    Quick to locate GPS and I've used it with no bother in Northumberland, the Lakes and the Alps.
    I do wonder whether it accurately records ascent - but maybe I'm deluding myself?

If I understand it correctly any watch without a barometer relies on the accuracy of the GPS plot on a map to work out ascent - presumably why you don't get that metric displayed whilst running. So any similarly barometer-less watch (which is most of the sub £200 ones) will be in the same boat.

What I can say is that when I've plotted out routes on a GPX planner (OS map based) then run the route it's usually been pretty close together. But neither will be as accurate as something with a barometer.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    ....as long as the barometer is calibrated correctly and you don't get a big swing in atmospheric pressure during your run.

I upload the Tomtom gpx to Strava as well as mysports and find them both to be pretty accurate.