Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What head torch 2016

I used to like Lenser (have got a T7 and an H7.2) but I just find that they can keep up - I specifically chopped in my H7.2 for the HC30.

Despite liking torches I've not found the pocket money spare for an option with reactive lighting but it does sound worth exploring. But my second option for picking out said tussock might be worth considering from what you're describing - the Manker T01 is a little pocket rocket, it'll comfortably pick out specifics at 250m plus. Combine that with whatever headtorch does the close range stuff comfortably and you're sorted.

Is your existing setup an eBay special with a kazillion Chinese lumens, or a more respectable brand (Nitefighter etc) geared up towards MTB'ers etc? That's the most common setup for HT's with an external pack.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    I find the reactive Petzl Neo works very well, running in woods you do get some annoying flicker when it catches the reflection off leaves / branches.

One advantage of an external battery is that you can carry it somewhere warm e.g. jacket pocket, batteries work less well when cold.
    I'd second that about the flicker. Same happens on those really still and cold nights when your exhaling produces those 'breath angels' which hang annoyingly in front of your face. Worse conditions for flicker are really heavy rain/sleet and snow flurries which send the torch into a rite frenzy (not good if you've any epileptic tendencies!). Overall though the Petzl Nao2 seems ok and beats those flaming torches the villagers down below favour
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    This all sounds incredibly complex. Just a thought, but have you thought about simply running in the day? You could spend the lamp money then on knee hose and one of those fly fishing vests with the pop bottles attached
    Sadly I have to work during the day, I reckon I'll have my first head torch run within a month.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by tenohfive View Post
    I used to like Lenser (have got a T7 and an H7.2) but I just find that they can keep up - I specifically chopped in my H7.2 for the HC30.

Despite liking torches I've not found the pocket money spare for an option with reactive lighting but it does sound worth exploring. But my second option for picking out said tussock might be worth considering from what you're describing - the Manker T01 is a little pocket rocket, it'll comfortably pick out specifics at 250m plus. Combine that with whatever headtorch does the close range stuff comfortably and you're sorted.

Is your existing setup an eBay special with a kazillion Chinese lumens, or a more respectable brand (Nitefighter etc) geared up towards MTB'ers etc? That's the most common setup for HT's with an external pack.
    It's this from Smudge http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mounta...the-lumenator/ the battery is the best bit about it to be honest.

I actually don't really like my Lenser H7R, although it's the head torch of choice if I'm group running.
    pies

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    It's this from Smudge http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mounta...the-lumenator/ the battery is the best bit about it to be honest.

I actually don't really like my Lenser H7R, although it's the head torch of choice if I'm group running.
    I've been looking at The Lumenator for a couple of weeks & the battery unit that was good to start with has been improved from 6 cell to 4 cell which makes it lighter, but with a welcome - slight - improvement in lumens & battery life.

lumenator.jpg
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I use a Silva Trail runner 2 which is USB chargeable and has a decent burn time. It also has a spot and wide angle lens combined which gives a really good spread for running more technical trails. Given that a large portion of my running is done first thing in the morning I'll soon be using it frequently.

3rd winter using my LED Lenser rechargeable. Highly recommended. And used by a certain mountain rescue member on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    This all sounds incredibly complex. Just a thought, but have you thought about simply running in the day? You could spend the lamp money then on knee hose and one of those fly fishing vests with the pop bottles attached
    How about one of these?...

I'm tempted, but i think it's a bit short on bottle storage.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post

shaunaneto, have you rigged up a way to use the Lumenator as a headtorch, or do you use it as a hand torch?
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner View Post
    shaunaneto, have you rigged up a way to use the Lumenator as a headtorch, or do you use it as a hand torch?
    Oops, sorry for the tardy reply.

Yes, exactly that. The downside being the need to carry a pack for the battery! Balanced out by having low weight on your head and 30 hrs between charging at 40% output and that's before you get to the amount of light it can put out. I can't recall if the kit for using as a head torch came with it or the previous light.

Honestly, so long as you don't mind running with a small pack (Inov8 10L normally for me) it's a superb solution. I'm pretty much going to keep using it as a head torch, in part because I ended up buying a Dynamo set up for my commuter which accounts for the overwhelming requirements for bike lights.
    pies