Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddy Buckley relay

Paddy Buckley relay

I've been talking with some Eryri members about a relay over the Paddy Buckley. On the Bob Graham a relay is one runner/leg. So on the Paddy Buckley how do the legs divide up?

Clearly it's

1. Hebog/Nantlle
    2. Snowdon
    3. Glyders
    4. Carneddau

but

is it

5. Siabod to Cwmorthin Quarries
    6. Cwmorthin Quarries to Aberglaslyn

or

5. Siabod to Aberglaslyn? so a long 6 hr last leg?

I see the final legs as 2 x 3 hr legs so the legs are more comparable with the other legs?

Any views?

Re: Paddy Buckley relay

Its all ready been done a few years back by Eryri Harriers .theres a full breakdown of all the sections (i`ve got a copy of it somewhere) i think the total time was about 11 hours

Bloody hell! 11:00 hrs!

That's incredible. You sure?

yes,im pretty sure,but i`ll double check and get back to you will more details.i did have the schedule for the attempt, i try to dig it up tonight
    (it was deviced by Trefor Jones ,i think)

Be interested in seeing that. Must have been back when Eryri were one of the best teams in Britain with Donneley et al?

Was it one runner/one leg?

That's 5 or 6 miles / hr which over that sort of terrain is incredibly good going.

Oh dear, I think I have had a little idea.......
    Now, if Iain can get the details from Trefor Jones then there are a couple of possibilities, you may wish to have a go at the record with a crack Eryri squad, or alternatively we could set up a N/S Wales challenge. We could send up a team to challenge you on your home turf over the PB, then a month or so later you bring a team to South Wales and we repeat the challenge over the S Wales Traverse.
    And perhaps to avoid the concept of loading the teams with young racing snakes and give a more accurate reflection of those that get out on these sort of things on a regular basis the teams should be mixed and have a spread of age categories, running in pairs rather than solo.......fixed changeovers or devise your own strategy...ooh lots to think about....
    So how about it Iain, an Eryri/MDC and Brycheiniog challenge? Or are you scared??

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Oh dear, I think I have had a little idea.......
    Now, if Iain can get the details from Trefor Jones then there are a couple of possibilities, you may wish to have a go at the record with a crack Eryri squad, or alternatively we could set up a N/S Wales challenge. We could send up a team to challenge you on your home turf over the PB, then a month or so later you bring a team to South Wales and we repeat the challenge over the S Wales Traverse.
    And perhaps to avoid the concept of loading the teams with young racing snakes and give a more accurate reflection of those that get out on these sort of things on a regular basis the teams should be mixed and have a spread of age categories, running in pairs rather than solo.......fixed changeovers or devise your own strategy...ooh lots to think about....
    So how about it Iain, an Eryri/MDC and Brycheiniog challenge? Or are you scared??
    Ohhhhh.... he's so manly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Or are you scared??
    ...by the formidable Steam Bunny reputation I meant

Looks like the summer holiday has rejuvinated Toffer, the 'good ideas' are coming again .

The N. Wales lads may be running scared after my run at Cnicht .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post

The N. Wales lads may be running scared after my run at Cnicht .
    How did you go on? I was hung over but felt OK, 5th in the end. The guy who won put in a very good time of 34 mins something. Was that you?

Anyway I'll ask around and see what people think, if 11 hrs is the record I don't think we could get a team to get anywhere near that.. I'm also not sure we could get enough runners fullstop though. The Paddy Buckley has attracted little attention off Eryri in recent years which is a real petty. There's now a few talking about attempts next year, it would be good to keep at least one round a year from the club on the go, at least one attempt anyway.

I probably shouldn't say this, but Eryri isn't the club it was on the national scene, we don't even have enough male runners (me included due to football commitments last season) to get a full team out for most British Championship races which is a real petty. Hopefully things will improve. The woman have themselves in order, so there's no reason why the blokes shouldn't.