Thread: Studmarks on the summits

Studmarks on the summits

Don't suppose anyone has one for sale?

Well despite the full text being on the FRA website and a reprint having been announced; a rather battered copy on ebay is currently over £100 with the clock still ticking.

Truly this book has the power to bring joy.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I put a bid in for the other one that turned up on the FRA Facebook page last week. My bid was quite a way over £100, and whilst I don't know what it went for, my bid was 'blown out of the water"... This was for a copy in very good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I put a bid in for the other one that turned up on the FRA Facebook page last week. My bid was quite a way over £100, and whilst I don't know what it went for, my bid was 'blown out of the water"... This was for a copy in very good condition.
    Yes I saw that but with private sales one rarely discovers the price. Only ebay is transparent.

My best friend collects First Editions (of Booker Prize short-list novels) so I am not surprised by people spending £hundreds on a book they want. What price does anyone place on something they value?

I am aware of sales of SMOTS up to £300+ but to achieve £200+ level a copy has needed to be signed/ immaculate/ auctioned when there are (at least) two very determined bidders.

Amusingly what often happens is that once one copy comes to market others appear with sellers thinking they must "cash in" quickly. This is flawed thinking for sellers in getting the best price but good for buyers in keeping the price down: there was one time when 3 copies were on ebay at the same time!

Incidentally Bill was always bemused by the "dutch tulip mania" over something he had written over 30 years before!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Having bought my copy at the time of publication, for the asking price of £7.50 ( I actually delivered a dozen or so copies around the Lancaster area, for Peter Knott ), I think that it is too precious to be parting with. I'm hoping that it will go to the eldest grandson. He's just short of being 10 years old and is giving me a hard time at the Lancaster Park Runs.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Super Moderator
    Good grandadding Ian! All the best to you and yours for Christmas
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I read Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. One of the characters ran a rare-books shop. There was a lot of insight into what makes a book valuable. It is such nonsense! The type of person that pays three-plus figure sums for books has little interest in the actual content of the book. It is the properties that make it "valuable" to people like him that matter. Suppose the same can be said about most if not all collectors!!!

Cheers Andrew, all the best to you, Stef & all the crew for the season ..... I have PM'ed to you.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Good grandadding Ian! All the best to you and yours for Christmas
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I read Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. One of the characters ran a rare-books shop. There was a lot of insight into what makes a book valuable. It is such nonsense! The type of person that pays three-plus figure sums for books has little interest in the actual content of the book. It is the properties that make it "valuable" to people like him that matter. Suppose the same can be said about most if not all collectors!!!
    Books have a very tangible quality, just like vinyl. Having an MP3 on file isn't nearly the same as having it on 12".
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator
    PM received. Stef says hi
    Poacher turned game-keeper