Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vuelta 2016

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    If Froome really wants the overall victory then today could turn out to be one of those Grand Tour days to remember.
    Sky v Movistar.
    Bring it on!
    So... the best rider from the best team won and, more importantly, so did cycling.

Any victory that isn't Sky is good for the teams that aren't backed by a billion dollar Corporation who can afford to buy off all the competition.

Nothing new there of course: La Vie Claire did it with Hinault and LeMond and US Postal did it for Armstrong etc hiring Grand Tour winners as domestiques, but sport is about the underdog winning occasionally, not processions as in Premiership, Formula 1 et al.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

premiership was hardly a procession last year ?

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    Valverde, not a bad domestique.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I heard that Chris Froome is already working on a book to be released when he retires: "Froome the Bell Tolls."

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    So... the best rider from the best team won and, more importantly, so did cycling.

Any victory that isn't Sky is good for the teams that aren't backed by a billion dollar Corporation who can afford to buy off all the competition.

Nothing new there of course: La Vie Claire did it with Hinault and LeMond and US Postal did it for Armstrong etc hiring Grand Tour winners as domestiques, but sport is about the underdog winning occasionally, not processions as in Premiership, Formula 1 et al.
    So Movistar lack budget? It might not be as much as Sky, but I think BMC, Sky, Tinkoff, Katusha... are all pretty well funded.

I think firstly it is Movistar's home grand tour and so they will put more in to the Vuelta.

I think secondly, one stage won it and it was tactical, not down to Quintana versus Froome.

In the head to heads, Froome has it comfortably and even in the Vuelta I think Froome, despite being a little over the top at the end of the season was a match for Quintana.

It was actually Tinkoff that won it for Quintana on that stage 13.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Witton and Stagger - I think you'll find it was Stage 15.
    I thought it was a great tour. Unlike some I have no axe to grind for any teams/riders but it was good to see Sky mix it up a bit rather than just dominating. Quintana is a fantastic rider. We went over to Madrid at w/end to see the last stage and had a brilliant time. The city was packed with thousands of Columbians supporting Quintana and Chaves. Great atmosphere.
    Bonus points for anybody watching on TV who spotted my Lancashire flag on the hoardings on the bottom loop near the 1km flag!

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Witton and Stagger - I think you'll find it was Stage 15.
    I thought it was a great tour. Unlike some I have no axe to grind for any teams/riders but it was good to see Sky mix it up a bit rather than just dominating. Quintana is a fantastic rider. We went over to Madrid at w/end to see the last stage and had a brilliant time. The city was packed with thousands of Columbians supporting Quintana and Chaves. Great atmosphere.
    Bonus points for anybody watching on TV who spotted my Lancashire flag on the hoardings on the bottom loop near the 1km flag!
    Sorry I didn't spot you
    I just took Staggers word for it as he's usually right
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell