Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vuelta 2016

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    Another big effort from Quintana - on the Lagos de Covadonga, the Alpe d'Huez of the Vuelta - and a stage win to boot.
    Not sure if Froome was pacing himself, feigning tiredness, or just had poor legs on the early part of the final climb, but he sure came back strong in the last four kilometres.
    Froome may be relying on his time-trial strength but by the time that stage arrives, the final Friday of the three week tour, he may be too far back on Quintana, especially with the amount of climbing yet to come.
    So...who would you prefer to win? Quintana, who has now remembered how to attack or "I learnt all I know from falling asleep watching Miguel Indurain" Froome?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    Another big effort from Quintana - on the Lagos de Covadonga, the Alpe d'Huez of the Vuelta - and a stage win to boot.
    Not sure if Froome was pacing himself, feigning tiredness, or just had poor legs on the early part of the final climb, but he sure came back strong in the last four kilometres.
    Froome may be relying on his time-trial strength but by the time that stage arrives, the final Friday of the three week tour, he may be too far back on Quintana, especially with the amount of climbing yet to come.
    It was a really exciting stage. Quintana is on fire, Contador is riding well despite his injuries and Froome almost timed today's race to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Contador is riding well despite his injuries
    I suggest one of the great "If only..." in Grand Tours is "If only... Contador didn't fall off so much (by riding nearer the front of the peloton and avoiding crashes).

Banned
    Quintana is on good form but is still lacking the bottle or confidence to create an attack. He has joined in and become the last man riding but has up to press just been a follower. Better race now that Sky are not just controlling everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    So...who would you prefer to win? Quintana, who has now remembered how to attack or "I learnt all I know from falling asleep watching Miguel Indurain" Froome?
    Any credit for Froome for todays effort?

Whilst I doff my cap to your depth of knowledge of the cycling scene I do think you are being a tad unfair to Froome.
    Ok, perhaps Sky soften up the rest for him sometimes, but he is always attacking and hard to predict. Take the stage win in to Bagneres this year, attacking on the decent and holding it despite Valverde who is supposed to be one of the best descenders, trying to pull it back for the pack.
    Take the stage in to Montpelier, where he attacked off the front with Sagan inside the last 15km.
    It was great to watch - well I enjoyed it anyway.

I think Quintana's new found confidence may have diminished a little today, so it will be interesting to see how the race unfolds now.

Saturday and Sunday will be interesting.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 31-08-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Any credit for Froome for todays effort?
    Ssssh but Sky's DS told me Froome had been following this thread and...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 31-08-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Another great stage today with Quintana and Froome going head to head in the final 200 metres.

An important stage today. Although Quintana's place is looking fairly nailed on,IF Froome can take a big chunk of time off him and IF Contador, Yates,Chaves and Froome decide to go for broke on Saturday, it could be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    An important stage today...
    If Froome really wants the overall victory then today could turn out to be one of those Grand Tour days to remember.
    Sky v Movistar.
    Bring it on!

Banned
    Only one winner.
    Sky made a massive error on stage 13 and that was the race for this year.