Thread: Castle Carr

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In response to Tindersticks - also covering some metres of the Midgeley Fete fell race (is that a race I've done that you havent Darren - TICK)
    and of course leg 4 of the Calder Valley Way relay- I also thought I was on part of the (15 mile winter) Heptonstall route but then it could have just been another farmyard/farm lane. It was like a super fast tour of the area that I was kind of dreading before because of of the reports of rough tussocky ground, but I think the rough ground was short lived and the fast running sections far outweighed them. I actually really enjoyed it, but conditions were very good and dry weren't they.

And also I found out a fascinating thing that i put on twitter but i will repeat here.... The fountain designed and built for the central courtyard of Castle Carr is now in Trevelyan Square in Leeds (off Boar Lane) Now I happen to know that a certain FRA chairman used to work in an office in Trevelyan Square! As I did too, and I remember tripping down the steps of that fountain with a big (glass) bottle of Ribena cordial in my hand and it smashing, and I told everyone at work that it had turned the fountain pink, when in fact I think I made that bit up.

If the weather has been dry the week before, i think i would do that race again. Although it was quite tricky navigating, but i think if you're localish, and you get a chance to recce (about 5 times!), all the better.

Thanks Bill.

(PS I loved the water stop with biscuits and sweets laid out and some kids gave me a jelly baby just when i needed it (no idea where i was) i missed Lynsey Oldfield's box of sweets as i was distracted by having to dib and Helen shouting "Youre doing brilliant - keep going" (when i wanted a sweet) but i just carried on past! and of course the drum band that by the end of the race I had completely forgotten about, but they did create a great atmosphere at the start.)
    Last edited by Daleside; 05-09-2017 at 10:42 AM.