Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castle Carr

In response to Tindersticks - also covering some metres of the Midgeley Fete fell race (is that a race I've done that you havent Darren - TICK)
    and of course leg 4 of the Calder Valley Way relay- I also thought I was on part of the (15 mile winter) Heptonstall route but then it could have just been another farmyard/farm lane. It was like a super fast tour of the area that I was kind of dreading before because of of the reports of rough tussocky ground, but I think the rough ground was short lived and the fast running sections far outweighed them. I actually really enjoyed it, but conditions were very good and dry weren't they.

And also I found out a fascinating thing that i put on twitter but i will repeat here.... The fountain designed and built for the central courtyard of Castle Carr is now in Trevelyan Square in Leeds (off Boar Lane) Now I happen to know that a certain FRA chairman used to work in an office in Trevelyan Square! As I did too, and I remember tripping down the steps of that fountain with a big (glass) bottle of Ribena cordial in my hand and it smashing, and I told everyone at work that it had turned the fountain pink, when in fact I think I made that bit up.

If the weather has been dry the week before, i think i would do that race again. Although it was quite tricky navigating, but i think if you're localish, and you get a chance to recce (about 5 times!), all the better.

Thanks Bill.

(PS I loved the water stop with biscuits and sweets laid out and some kids gave me a jelly baby just when i needed it (no idea where i was) i missed Lynsey Oldfield's box of sweets as i was distracted by having to dib and Helen shouting "Youre doing brilliant - keep going" (when i wanted a sweet) but i just carried on past! and of course the drum band that by the end of the race I had completely forgotten about, but they did create a great atmosphere at the start.)
    Last edited by Daleside; 05-09-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Entries on the day will be fine for Castle Carr race on Sunday (Sep 2nd), despite it saying otherwise in the calendar.

At the moment, runners are going to be outnumbered by marshals.

NB: water butts will be available at at least one checkpoint and the finish, but to save on plastic rubbish generation you will need to use your own bottle or cup to fill up - there won't be cups.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

For anyone coming to Castle Carr on Sunday (Sep 1st):
    If you want water on the way round, just as for last year take a water bottle or cup with you - a couple of the marshals will have water butts but not plastic cups.

And note that the route has changed after CP8 (Rocking Stone) due to request from Natural England: instead of going on to CP9 it will be flagged directly into the estate.
    Details on the website: http://www.cvfr.co.uk/races/castle-carr/

Mrs Weetabix Power and Llani Boy: don't forget you have free entry as Fantasy Fellrunning winners 2018!

As I said on facebook: with just 35 runners last year (32 finishers) this race has probably the smallest field of any AL in England. As far removed from mass participation as it is possible to be!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Sorry Bill, I'm not going to make it. Think the BOFRA's are more my level this year. Trying to get all 16 in. Heading to Burnsal today. Hope you get a good turn out.
    Caroline

Castle Carr Fell Race

It’s been another hectic summer where my fellrunning escapades are concerned. A successful Paddy Buckley Round and the completion of thirty two fell races throughout the months of June, July and August had kept me on my peat ingrained toes during the warmest season of the year. From a runners perspective I was looking forward to autumn, fittingly referred to as the “cooling-off season” - a welcome antidote after what has been at times a stifling summer season on the fells. And if truth be told I was ready for a rest, free from the temptation of midweek races.

Autumn coincides with shorter hours of daylight and a drop in temperatures but this is a small price to pay when considering some of its heartwarming characteristics. One being the quintessential experience of sitting beside an inglenook fireplace in the ideal retreat of a country pub. Cosy and warm whilst sampling a local ale and enjoying a hearty meal - unparalleled reward after a day out running over moody mountain vistas on a chilly autumnal day...priceless. It’s also evident that occasionally I’ll get slightly giddy during the autumn months. The phenomenon that causes the deciduous trees and shrubs to turn into foliage of fiery red, burnt orange and mustard yellow really is uplifting. This blaze of colour has been proven to improve people’s moods but can also encourage acts of a questionable nature.

A few years ago I carried out such an act whilst we were out walking with Nellie our beloved border terrier. Nellie was wriggling around ecstatically upon a blanket of leaves, periodically she’d stop and intently focus on catching the falling foliage. We stood and watched in total contentment, I felt invigorated to the point of excitable frivolity. Nellie’s joyous behaviour had prompted me to attempt a few keepy-uppies with the only thing I had at hand - a heavily loaded bag of dog shit. Not exactly ideal but beggars can’t be choosers. Before I’d even reached double figures Alison halted my unorthodox juggling and told me to “behave”. I must admit, I thought she’d be impressed given the difficulty of the task, especially as I’m wearing wellies. Then the ambiance was broken furthermore with what I considered to be an act of innocent tomfoolery, as I playfully crept up and tapped Alison on the back of her head with the aforementioned bag - delivered with the faintest of touches, a simple flick of the wrist.

To say Alison wasn’t amused is an understatement. She proper flew off the handle and called me a “vacuous tool”...amongst other unprintable things. At first I tried fibbing and told her she was obviously mistaken and must’ve been hit by a falling conker. Unfortunately we’re miles away from the nearest horse chestnut tree - I’m digging myself a deeper hole. My cover was blown further when Alison noticed the bag was still swaying after impact, the heavy load acting like a pendulum. On closer inspection the laden bag appeared concaved, resulting from direct contact with the curvature of Alison’s noggin. Upon noticing this I hastily slammed the bag against my thigh in a vain attempt of tampering with the evidence. I was rumbled and rightfully chastised. I tried easing the situation by commenting that the superior build quality of the bag would’ve prevented any chance of splitting on impact. My insightful observation only riled Alison even more, I said nothing else and kept schtum. I was tempted to mention that the bag was scented but withheld the information. When Alison wasn’t looking I googled ‘vacuous’ - having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence...at the time I remember thinking “that’s a bit harsh”. In the context of using the word ‘tool’... I guess she meant Knob head but I didn’t feel it appropriate to ask for clarity.

I’ve enthused about my fondness for autumn but when does it actually start? The first day of autumn depends upon which system you use to define the seasons: astronomical or meteorological.

Astronomical seasons are defined by the earth’s orbit around the sun. That all sounds a bit gobbledygook. I cant even get my head around Strava and any noteworthy activity to which I partake remains without kudos. Whereby under the meteorological calendar the seasons are split into four periods made up of three months each...Kudos to meteorological simplicity. Therefore in keeping things simple, autumn starts on the 1st September and Castle Carr was my autumnal curtain-raiser.

Castle Carr fell race to my knowledge is the only category AL race in West Yorkshire. It starts from the village of Old Town which lies within the bohemian borough of Hebden Bridge. Any references towards bohemian rhapsody within the following ‘race report’ are completely coincidental - Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?...that only 49 participants ran in what is unquestionably a race deserving of far more. Pre-race I’m undecided about the weather as I - open my eyes, look up to the skies and see...it’s looking like rain and there’s a chill in the air, I’m going with a base layer. On the start line - I see a little silhouetto of a man...it’s race organiser Bill Johnson giving the briefest of race briefs. From the off it’s a relaxed pace and I go with the flow - because I’m easy come, easy go, little high, little low...The ankle bashing tussocks around checkpoint 1 - send shivers down my spine, body’s aching all the time. At last I find a decent line - goodbye everybody, I’ve got to go, gotta leave you all behind. The chance would be a fine thing as I keep going astray in the woods - just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here. Not long to go now, just one final section of leg sapping tussocks - mama mia, mama mia, mama mia, let me go. The early threat of bad weather eventually came but thankfully there’s no - thunderbolts and lightning, very, very frightening...although it had turned rather unpleasant just as I’d finished - but nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters, nothing really matters to me...as I’m sat in the pub without a care in the world eating chilli and chips. The chilli gives me flatulence, better out than me - any way the wind blows.

Many thanks to Bill and all helpers for a fantastic race - magnifico-o-o-o-o. Well done to the betrothed couple: Ethan Hassell and Annie Roberts on their impressive wins. Rumours that in celebration Ethan danced around in medieval court jester attire whilst Annie sang - Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the fandango?... are currently unfounded.

On the way home I called in on my parents. There’s an uncomfortable atmosphere - mama just killed a man...thankfully that’s a huge exaggeration but my mum was proper miffed. She’s threatening to have my dads “guts for garters if he doesn’t get up off his arse and power hose the garden patio”. He’s not too keen as his arthritic big toe is giving him some jip - my mum calls him “mard”. To ease the situation for my dad I go outside and make a start - spare him his life from this monstrosity. I didn’t realise my parents had a karcher K5 Premium, it’s the worlds number one pressure washer - top quality piece of kit, a total joy to operate. After an hours graft I make my excuses as it’s nearly teatime; we’re having spaghetti bolognese served with grated parmesan, it’s one of my favourites. My mum looks upset as the patio isn’t quite finished - Mama, ooh. Didn’t mean to make you cry. If I’m not back again this time tomorrow...just tell my dad to - carry on, carry on... And that’s exactly what he did, he give me a bell when he’d finished - “Darren ya mams well chuffed, harmony has been restored”...I was pleased, it music to my ears!

I’m closing this ‘race report’ with an informative autumnal snippet. Apparently it’s been predicted by those in the know (including our window cleaner as there’s nowt he doesn’t know) that due to this summers humid and damp conditions our homes will inevitably be faced with hordes of invading arachnid during the coming autumn months. Spiders will venture indoors to escape the imminent drop in temperatures as they prepare to find a mate...but there’s no need to panic. The humble conker is the arachnophobics saviour according to an old wives’ tale and of course our window cleaner - the placement of horse chestnuts under beds, sofas and in the corners of window bottoms act as a spider repellent. This theory hasn’t been scientifically proven but I do applaud the sentiment and it’s a great excuse to go foraging for conkers. Personally I find the appearance of the horse chestnut adds a rustic charm to our window bottoms - sitting in perfect harmony beside the scented candles, bowls of fragranced potpourri and other such shite. And if the conkers fail and Boris the spider remains above my head, hanging by a little thread. I’ll waste not, want not, as I can always use the conkers for keepy-uppies...I’ve played with far worse.

Time to wrap this shit up - it’s in the bag!
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 04-11-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

'KUDOS' Daz !!
    See the light in the night

Hahaha that's brilliant - thank you

Giving the short one a go tommorrow. Weather says thunder storms...
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Probably need a compass bearing or two in this weather we're predicted, Bill says the open fell sections are essentially nav legs. Great day in prospect for getting lost.

It's a good route the short race, pretty tough, has darren fishwicks name all over it, but he was nowhere to be seen. I ended up in a bunch with a Tod guy who obviously knew the trods, the field split early and my main rival went the other way. Visibility was poor and people kept on popping up all over the place. The start of the long descent into Luddenden Dale was awful, a tiresome yomp down a very rough bilberry banking, it got faster and i wasn't struggling to keep up. I slowed on the climb out to remove my cag and basically lost touch with the group. The section up to rocking stone had runners scattered everywhere and i was on my own, periodically i caught a glimse of the group in the distance and i was unsure of when to check my course left to the CP. I came across a flat area and identified it by name on the map, i used it to good effect and had caught up by the time we all dibbed. Very rough drop into the estate. I picked the pace up dramatically on the half mile to the dam and dusted who i thought was the first vet; flat speed paying off again. Got overtaken by a lad on the way out, but hung onto him until the finish.

A good pint of knowle spring in the boozer afterwards, turns out i was first vet and won the V40 prize. The goats in the field nearly ate bill's results sheet so we very nearly got nothing.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent