Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: inov8 Grip question

inov8 Grip question

Hi, what models of inov8 are best suited for medium distance ultra race during wet and icy condition on rocky and wet ground?
    Terraclaw, roclite, xtalon etc? I only used the inov8 race ultra which i find them very comfortable with low drop and wide toe room. Unfortunately I have not much confidence on wet slippery technical trails.
    Something good for sleet ice, rain and wet rocks and bogs? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Ambit View Post
    Hi, what models of inov8 are best suited for medium distance ultra race during wet and icy condition on rocky and wet ground?
    Terraclaw, roclite, xtalon etc? I only used the inov8 race ultra which i find them very comfortable with low drop and wide toe room. Unfortunately I have not much confidence on wet slippery technical trails.
    Something good for sleet ice, rain and wet rocks and bogs? Thanks in advance
    If only there were a shoe that suited every condition.........Alas, there isn't
    You've headed up the thread with a question on grip, in which case the Mudclaw is probably the best on any given terrain. Whether they will give you the comfort required for an 'ultra' I'm not sure.
    Icy conditions get the better of any shoe I'm afraid, but you could put on a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes over your Mudclaws for 100% grip.
    Good luck with your research.
    See the light in the night

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Agreed - Mudclaw is the best all rounder but for icey conditions, Orocs are great.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Agreed - Mudclaw is the best all rounder but for icey conditions, Orocs are great.
    If its icy - orocs work well but I've never worn mine outside 'proper' winter conditions (i.e snow on the ground). Buy last year's model if you can find any remaining, as there's usually a massive discount (probably even more now there's a newer improved model).

Here's a great report from this year's Spine Challenger when Orocs were worn. Hope that helps!

http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....-mrt-2016.html
    Am Yisrael Chai

If it's not icy, and want grip "almost" as good as Mudclaw, but with added comfort, try the new X-Claw 275. In their words "The ultimate shoe for running long distances over extreme terrain" https://www.inov-8.com/men/footwear-terrain/x-claw-275.html

Only worn mine once, but certainly no complaints with a mile or so of road, then a bit of a path, then some bog/tussock/heather off-track, then some steep wet grass.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    If it's not icy, and want grip "almost" as good as Mudclaw, but with added comfort, try the new X-Claw 275. In their words "The ultimate shoe for running long distances over extreme terrain" https://www.inov-8.com/men/footwear-terrain/x-claw-275.html

Only worn mine once, but certainly no complaints with a mile or so of road, then a bit of a path, then some bog/tussock/heather off-track, then some steep wet grass.
    One of the local gang thinks these are pretty good with respect to both grip and comfort.

Incidentally I have worn mudclaws for a medium ultra, but it was more of a very long fell race than a typical ultra, so needed the grip on what was quite a wet course with a bit of snow around (High Street range, Helvellyn range, and some other bits, in April)

It probably didn't do me any favours, but it was my first race over 40 miles so I figured it would hurt anyway and would benefit from the grip more than the cushioning.

Terroc 330's were my go to ultra shoe. Alas they're not made anymore, the heavier RocLites are the closest thing I've found. I tried the now discontinued TerraFly which was good for lighter stuff but the upper fell to pieces too easy.

I have done up to marathon distance in MudClaws with no issues though.

Thank you everyone ! I'm eying on a Roclite 280 which is on special offer on a site. thinking may be not bulky as roclite 295 ??? I will definetely look for some reviews on xClaw 275.

I've heard complaints with regard to the grip on latest roclite models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambit View Post
    Thank you everyone ! I'm eying on a Roclite 280 which is on special offer on a site. thinking may be not bulky as roclite 295 ??? I will definetely look for some reviews on xClaw 275.