Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: English Champs A Long

English Champs A Long

Calling all ROs, Clubs and potential ROs. Could you create an AL race?

We are down to maybe only one or two A long races worthy of being selected outside the Lake District. This is largely due to courses and/or competitor numbers being impeded by conservation work.

We would like the Championships to be representative of all English hill and fell terrain. Maybe you could create a new race or adapt an existing AM or BL? Bring in extra income for your club or worthy cause maybe?

Please consider:

• .A challenging course, worthy of being a Championship counter.

• .Avoiding high summer, when the Lakes ALs dominate the calendar.

• .A good “clean” course with no congestion or bottlenecks (particularly at the start).

• .Good infrastructure; venue facilities, road access, parking.

• .No severe restrictions on numbers, land access. This will mainly apply in National Parks.

Please consider giving it a go. Thank you.

Jude Jepson ,

FRA. Championships.

So, where's likely then? Don't know the ins and outs of each area but a few thoughts:
    - Allow a few BMs that are close to the limit?

- Stretton Hills could maybe get a sadistic, slightly convoluted route out of it.
    - Kettlewell area of the dales - what are the stats on the Wharfedale 3 peaks?
    - A Peak District race outside of the Skyline would be a bit of a permissions no-go at the moment given the work being done on Kinder and Bleaklow, but hopefully in the not-too distant future - maybe a resurrection of the Glossop AL race?
    - Lancashire bits of the Pennines hills has had its permissions issues of late but maybe Saddleworth Moors area?
    - Castle Carr has stood up this year in W Yorkshire, much more scope in that area?
    - NYMs aren't that severe and very traily but there could be scope.
    - I'm, presuming FTOP is a bit late in the season, but we've been over Pendle so often in recent years maybe it's due a rest!
    - Surely there's options around the North Pennines/Cheviots? The Chevy Chase stats (32.2km/1219m) aren't too far off the actual Edale Skyline stats (officially 34km/1373).
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

ES is out as it' nearly a trail run now

I have had some thoughts about a new route in the north peak away from Kinder, will chat to a few locals first though.

First though would be a variation on a Dozen........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    So, where's likely then? Don't know the ins and outs of each area but a few thoughts:

- Stretton Hills could maybe get a sadistic, slightly convoluted route out of it.
    - Kettlewell area of the dales - what are the stats on the Wharfedale 3 peaks?
    - A Peak District race outside of the Skyline would be a bit of a permissions no-go at the moment given the work being done on Kinder and Bleaklow, but hopefully in the not-too distant future - maybe a resurrection of the Glossop AL race?
    - Lancashire bits of the Pennines hills has had its permissions issues of late but maybe Saddleworth Moors area?
    - Castle Carr has stood up this year in W Yorkshire, much more scope in that area?
    - NYMs aren't that severe and very traily but there could be scope.
    - I'm, presuming FTOP is a bit late in the season, but we've been over Pendle so often in recent years maybe it's due a rest!
    - Surely there's options around the North Pennines/Cheviots? The Chevy Chase stats (32.2km/1219m) aren't too far off the actual Edale Skyline stats (officially 34km/1373).

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    ES is out as it's nearly a trail run now
    Glad I got a win in before they paved it! Need to go up and see whereabouts the path actually goes.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post

Admittedly I'm biased but the Long Mynd Valleys is not that far off an AL as it stands. If you chucked in a few elements of the Stretton Six Summits race from the English Champs 2015, I'm sure it would move it up a class.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Is the Stretton Skyline close, or does that mainly say high without dropping down too much?

Is the Stretton Skyline close, or does that mainly say high without dropping down too much?
    Ironocally, if it were *shorterned* a bit to finish at the top of Mott's Road, rather than descending into Church Stretton, it would move closer to an AL, but would still need a little bit more climb in it. It's the flat bit after the Lawley that takes the overall ascent down a bit....
    ....it's all downhill from here.

I'd wondered if there was potential on Middleton Fell (where the 2014 relays were). Something combining parts of the long pairs leg and the nav leg would be pretty close to AL I'd have thought.

Sedbergh Hills backwards
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbsy View Post
    I'd wondered if there was potential on Middleton Fell (where the 2014 relays were). Something combining parts of the long pairs leg and the nav leg would be pretty close to AL I'd have thought.
    Now with an extra bit of climb as Calf Top has been remeasured and just sneaks over the 2000ft mark: http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...–-by-2mm