Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: English Champs A Long

Or another solution might be to do two laps of an AM route. I've done a few races like this and it is nowhere near as boring as I thought it might be. Plus there are advantages for race organisers with logistics, runners for drinks and spectators (OK, the family members we drag along with us) actually get to see something.

It's certainly an option that some races could look at.

Any suggestions?

Nothing wrong with two laps. A huge number of IMRA races are out and back. I guess it is easier/safer with the tiny fields and difficulty with getting marshals.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Nothing wrong with two laps. A huge number of IMRA races are out and back.
    There is a big difference between laps and out-and-back. The first three fell race courses I ran, all in Scotland, were out-and-backs, and all excellent routes (apart from too much road at Goat Fell). On the other hand, I accept laps (grudgingly) in cross-country races, but wouldn't expect to find them in fell races. I hope no-one is taking my earlier suggestion of reps up and down Shutlingsloe too seriously!

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Not having the required climb per km is the problem with finding new races outside the lakes. Personally i wouldn't support the inclusion of the PPP because it's a trail race, but dropping the requirement for champs counters to 40m/km would yeild results. Yorkshire would come back into frame at the least
    Why do people consistently run run down the legitimacy of the 3 Peaks as a fell race?! It's always been a classic and granted more runnable than it's lakeland cousins, it still always produces a top fell runner as the winner. If it was that runnable it'd be gatecrashed by roadies, instead Ricky Lightfoot along with the likes of Simon Booth and Rob Jebb before him have dominated the 3P AND the likes of Borrowdale. Case closed imo. Why is it not good enough for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I have just been looking at a map of Dartmoor. There are some deeply incised valleys, and an AL course might just be possibly if it kept on going into and out of them, but you would probably end up with a rather artificial route.
    I'm glad someone's said that, as I've often thought the same myself. Trouble is fell running just hasn't cottoned on in that part of the world, although all I feel it'd take is a handful of ardent race organisers and the influence of some experienced fell runners in one or two of the clubs round there, and they'd be away!

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Calling all ROs, Clubs and potential ROs. Could you create an AL race?

We are down to maybe only one or two A long races worthy of being selected outside the Lake District. This is largely due to courses and/or competitor numbers being impeded by conservation work.

We would like the Championships to be representative of all English hill and fell terrain. Maybe you could create a new race or adapt an existing AM or BL? Bring in extra income for your club or worthy cause maybe?

Please consider:
    What would be wrong with 'old favourites' Sedbergh abd Holme Moss? Forgive me if I'be missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Why do people consistently run run down the legitimacy of the 3 Peaks as a fell race?! It's always been a classic and granted more runnable than it's lakeland cousins, it still always produces a top fell runner as the winner. If it was that runnable it'd be gatecrashed by roadies, instead Ricky Lightfoot along with the likes of Simon Booth and Rob Jebb before him have dominated the 3P AND the likes of Borrowdale. Case closed imo. Why is it not good enough for some people.
    Well possibly because it has very little fell but lots and lots of road, footpath & etc. (It hadn't when I started doing it).

Once an event accepts 1000 entries it has really left the ethos of fell running behind and has become show business.

Kenny Stuart won his debut road marathon in Glasgow and set his PB in Houston but that didn''t make them fell races.

Making fun of the PPP is a standard fell runners' joke. We love the race really and that is why we can make jokes about it.

(Btw I first ran my PPP in the 1980s, I have completed 10 of them, I could finish in 4 hours in my mid 50s, I used to be on the PPP Committee, I have written several articles about it for The Fellrunner and even refer to its paradoxical status in my next article).

So... just embrace
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 25-09-2016 at 08:15 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Nic, both versions of the Glossop AL race crossed either the Snake or the Woodhead. Not sure that crossing an A road in a champs race would be a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Nic, both versions of the Glossop AL race crossed either the Snake or the Woodhead. Not sure that crossing an A road in a champs race would be a great idea.
    Oh. That's my suggestion out then. But wasn't Holme Moss a champs race a few years ago?

Yeah, I saw your idea, and it unfortunately fall foul of much the same issue.
    Not only that but its pretty darn difficult to get any permission for a long race on Bleaklow, especially with the kind of numbers that Champs races tend to field.
    Shame really.
    And yes, I believe Holme moss was a champs race a few years ago.

Correct me if Im wrong, but are races that cross A-roads forbidden from being ALs/champs or is it simply because it wouldnt be a good idea?