Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: English Champs A Long

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    I'd have thought it'd go without saying that an English Champs race should be held in England, though take the point about the Manx. In a similar way, shouldn't the British Champs really be called the UK Champs? For NI is only technically part of the United Kingdom as opposed to Great Britain. Isn't it? Not that I think anyone's bothered mind, I'm only splitting hairs
    And it's Ukexit. So in fact "Brexit means Ukexit"

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    And it's Ukexit. So in fact "Brexit means Ukexit"
    Time for you to be led away quietly and spoken to in a kind but firm way perhaps?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    I'd have thought it'd go without saying that an English Champs race should be held in England, though take the point about the Manx.
    It would be easy to devise an AL route starting and finishing in Longtown or Craswall in Herefordshire, England, as long as you don't mind the route straying into a "foreign" land.

I do remember the nearby Black Mountains race being used as a British Champs race some time in the 1990's (I think); I hadn't realised that it was going to be a Champs race, and was somewhat disappointed as I turned up in Llanbedr to see the elite of British fell-running milling around, and realised that I was going to be much further down the field than I was used to in South-Welsh races!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    It would be easy to devise an AL route starting and finishing in Longtown or Craswall in Herefordshire, England, as long as you don't mind the route straying into a "foreign" land.

I do remember the nearby Black Mountains race being used as a British Champs race some time in the 1990's (I think); I hadn't realised that it was going to be a Champs race, and was somewhat disappointed as I turned up in Llanbedr to see the elite of British fell-running milling around, and realised that I was going to be much further down the field than I was used to in South-Welsh races!
    It was 1993. There were 6 counters and the other Long was Ennerdale. Fell runners were 'ard in them days.

Incidentally the formal inclusion of a SuperLong (the expression coined by Brian Martin) every year in the English Champs only came about when the LCT was established as a parallel FRA initiative to support Wasdale etc.

In 1994 the two English Longs were Langdale and Holme Moss. Fell runners were soft back then.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 29-09-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Oh. That's my suggestion out then. But wasn't Holme Moss a champs race a few years ago?
    Indeed it was. However, after that race we had to change the route on the way to the mast at the request of the landowner, who was concerned at the foot-fall over the original route.

We had a decent entry at this year's race, with quite a few using it as a final run-out before Borrowdale. I'm not aware of any issues from the landowners as a result, but we'll have to give them a bit of notice & argue our case if we want to host it as a Championship race again. The planning for 2018 starts here!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    Indeed it was. However, after that race we had to change the route on the way to the mast at the request of the landowner, who was concerned at the foot-fall over the original route.

We had a decent entry at this year's race, with quite a few using it as a final run-out before Borrowdale. I'm not aware of any issues from the landowners as a result, but we'll have to give them a bit of notice & argue our case if we want to host it as a Championship race again. The planning for 2018 starts here!
    As I recall Holme Moss was "invented" to provide a Long A outwith the lakes and it was a champs race again in 1999 (and then 2003). I was there and I seem to recall Yorkshire Water being concerned over the possibility of fell runners micturating (or worse) near the reservoir. Disgusting creatures that they are! I think it was the first time I had seen portaloos at a fell race.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 29-09-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    ...I seem to recall Yorkshire Water being concerned over the possibility of fell runners micturating (or worse) near the reservoir...
    Having a p!ss for them as don't understand Graham's use of the word.