Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: English Champs A Long

I think you could easily create a few fantastic ALs over the Longmynd area. Again i am biased as i'm only down the road but the area could easily absorb that climb and distance.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    First though would be a variation on a Dozen........!!!
    Funnily enough, I was also thinking of some variation of the North Side of the Kinder Dozen.

One direction the Dozen and return via the Killer

It is so "off piste" wear on the ground would not be a problem.

I think this problem is typical of fellrunning becoming a victim of its own success. You can't pick other AL events because they can't meet the criteria due to high expected turnout, you can't crank the entry limit right down because too many wouldn't get an entry. The only way forward is to include BL races at long distance; there are few areas that can generate an A Long due to the sheer hilliness required, it would be easy by comparison to set up new B Longs.

I actually genuinely don't understand why counters have to be cat A, especially if the event is challenging in other ways.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I think this problem is typical of fellrunning becoming a victim of its own success. You can't pick other AL events because they can't meet the criteria due to high expected turnout, you can't crank the entry limit right down because too many wouldn't get an entry. The only way forward is to include BL races at long distance; there are few areas that can generate an A Long due to the sheer hilliness required, it would be easy by comparison to set up new B Longs.

I actually genuinely don't understand why counters have to be cat A, especially if the event is challenging in other ways.
    Next you'll be saying we should let in races that have long flat sections and that haven't got the required climb per km. Like erm... 3 Peaks.

Not having the required climb per km is the problem with finding new races outside the lakes. Personally i wouldn't support the inclusion of the PPP because it's a trail race, but dropping the requirement for champs counters to 40m/km would yeild results. Yorkshire would come back into frame at the least
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

[QUOTE=ba-ba;627429]
    -
    - Kettlewell area of the dales - what are the stats on the Wharfedale 3 peaks?
    -
    QUOTE]

My stats from last year - 35.1k/1125metres - or in old money - 21.8 miles/3690ft. Also would Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue Association register the 'challenge' as an official fell race?

I looked into starting a new AL race round Kettlewell, I don't think the route from the summit of Buckden Pike is a favoured area for new races. I was severely dissuaded from organising another race over the same route. The Challenge event isn't steep enough, you'd need to go straight up the Pike from Buckden... a no go.

Next I looked into an AM around Ilkley, and the local landowners wouldn't allow it.

It would be great to get more A cat races outside of the lakes but it's not easy. IMHO the Howgills probably has the steepness and height required. I doubt Barbondale and Middleton fell is feasible either.
    Last edited by djglover; 23-09-2016 at 12:06 AM.
    Dan Wilkinson - Ilkley Harriers

If it's not a stupid question...
    Why does an English Champs race have to be in England? Why not use a Welsh or Scottish race?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have just been looking at a map of Dartmoor. There are some deeply incised valleys, and an AL course might just be possibly if it kept on going into and out of them, but you would probably end up with a rather artificial route.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    with a rather artificial route.
    Long Tour of Pendle would come under this category, but still a great race.