Thread: Achilles tendinopathy

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Achilles tendinopathy

The physio was pleased with my progress. 6 weeks earlier he had given me permission to do one short run a week. Then I came back and he reckoned I could either increase the length or the frequency of runs a little. So what do I do this last week? Two runs, but both significantly longer than I had been doing.

I blame the weather. Looking out at Beacon Hill from my bedroom window this bright, clear morning, I couldn't resist the temptation. And who knows when the Autumn rains will set in, and the steep paths up through Felicity's Wood will again be surfaced with mud on which even my Walshes can't grip?

Anyway, at least the soreness in my Achilles tendon isn't the sharp pain I was getting when the tendinopathy first made itself known. Maybe if I can resist going for any long runs this coming week, and keep doing the stretches, it won't be a serious setback.

Get some ecentric (not eccentric) loading done, it's good prep work for tendinopathies. If you've got stairs just hang your heel over the edge and use the banisters to raise yourself up. That or just balancing off the edge of something, eccentric loading too soon was always bad for me.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Get some ecentric (not eccentric) loading done, it's good prep work for tendinopathies. If you've got stairs just hang your heel over the edge and use the banisters to raise yourself up. That or just balancing off the edge of something, eccentric loading too soon was always bad for me.
    Yes, that is precisely what the physio has got me doing: lowering my heel over the edge of a step, then taking my weight off it before raising it.

My right achilles was tender for about 6 months earlier this year. It cleared up quite quickly when I started massaging trigger points in my calf after pulling it. Can't say for definite that it was the massaging that fixed it but it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Yes, that is precisely what the physio has got me doing: lowering my heel over the edge of a step, then taking my weight off it before raising it.
    You can bounce on it too, but only through about an inch of travel with your toes never leaving the step, and only as an advanced exercise. The phases i go through are: Ecentric...balancing...bouncing. 20secs on, 10secs rest, but drop to 15:15 if you want to be cautious. Continue for 5mins every morning and apply heat for 30mins every night before bed.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    I don't think I would want to risk bouncing at this stage. But applying heat looks like a good idea.

Master
    I usually reckon that an injury has healed when the corresponding part of the other leg feels worse than the supposedly injured part. After yesterday's run, it appears that my left Achilles tendon has healed. Ouch!