Thread: Settle and Carlisle Day

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Settle and Carlisle Day

I knew someone who used to celebrate 11th April as Settle and Carlisle Day: it was the day in 1989 when, after a long campaign, the decision was eventually made that the Settle and Carlisle railway line would not be closed. I first met this friend at Derby station; I wouldn't usually start a conversation with a stranger on a railway platform, but he was wearing a "Settle and Carlisle Railway" sweatshirt and I was on my way to Horton-in-Ribblesdale for the Pen-y-Ghent fell race. He was also a runner, but cross-country and road rather than fell.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I knew someone who used to celebrate 11th April as Settle and Carlisle Day: it was the day in 1989 when, after a long campaign, the decision was eventually made that the Settle and Carlisle railway line would not be closed. I first met this friend at Derby station; I wouldn't usually start a conversation with a stranger on a railway platform, but he was wearing a "Settle and Carlisle Railway" sweatshirt and I was on my way to Horton-in-Ribblesdale for the Pen-y-Ghent fell race. He was also a runner, but cross-country and road rather than fell.
    It is still not an economic line with few trains and few passengers (and some quarry aggregate traffic) although busier in summer with walkers and with people travelling on the line just because it is so famous.

And trains pulled by steam engines. In summer, if you wish, you can sometimes observe two different steam hauled excursions on the same day and Hellifield station has a cafe that survives just by serving the sometimes hundreds of people who turn out to watch steam trains pass through.

All very bizarre but very British with the combination of a steam engine and the Ribblehead viaduct appearing to be irresistible.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    It is still not an economic line with few trains and few passengers (and some quarry aggregate traffic) although busier in summer with walkers and with people travelling on the line just because it is so famous.
    Ah, but..."Not every thing that can be counted is countable and not everything that is countable counts". Albert Einstein (allegedly).

I often tend to my friends horses whose paddock runs alongside the railway. Usually. the horses are sanguine with the passing by of rail traffic, even noisily squeaking, extended rumbling, heavy goods trains.

But, in the summer, one has to be extremely cautious and ever vigilant while grooming or tending to the horses and engaged in any activity that requires you to stand close to them. That's because of the possible sudden appearance of the 'fire-breathing, horse devouring dragon' spitting sparks, and chuffing out black smoke, which elicits immediate equine panic and galloping stampede, much to the amusement, no doubt, of the train's special excursion passengers, munching on their cucumber sandwiches and quaffing S-to-C Prosecco.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

And trains pulled by steam engines. In summer, if you wish, you can sometimes observe two different steam hauled excursions on the same day and Hellifield station has a cafe that survives just by serving the sometimes hundreds of people who turn out to watch steam trains pass through.

All very bizarre but very British with the combination of a steam engine and the Ribblehead viaduct appearing to be irresistible.
    Ah, but..."Not every thing that can be counted is countable and not everything that is countable counts". Albert Einstein (allegedly).

I often tend to my friends horses whose paddock runs alongside the railway. Usually. the horses are sanguine with the passing by of rail traffic, even noisily squeaking, extended rumbling, heavy goods trains.

But, in the summer, one has to be extremely cautious and ever vigilant while grooming or tending to the horses and engaged in any activity that requires you to stand close to them. That's because of the possible sudden appearance of the 'fire-breathing, horse devouring dragon' spitting sparks, and chuffing out black smoke, which elicits immediate equine panic and galloping stampede, much to the amusement, no doubt, of the train's special excursion passengers, munching on their cucumber sandwiches and quaffing S-to-C Prosecco.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I've used the Settle to Carlisle a few times for hill walking excursions. The Malerstang ridge starting with Nine Standards was great starting from Kirkby Stephen and back on (after a night on the hills) at Garsdale. Baugh Fell is an underrated hill that I walked from Garsdale. Many other options are available. I catch it from Shipley often with many other walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

But do the pampered passengers wave? And if so why?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".