Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Killing of Raptors

The Killing of Raptors

Things are getting very bad in the SW of the Dales, Two red kites shot near Blubberhouses this summer and this morning Grough have this:-
    "A dead peregrine falcon has been found by a walker in the Yorkshire Dales.
    The bird, which was discovered in Hebden Gill, east of Grassington, died because of shotgun wounds, police said".
    I love the Grouse moors and could just about tolerate grouse shooting, but the continuing persecution of all birds of Prey (possibly by gamekeepers) is a major wildlife crime and disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    ...the continuing persecution of all birds of Prey (possibly by gamekeepers) is a major wildlife crime and disgusts me.
    Much more to digest from this site…

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com

Grouse moors are nothing but killing fields , both for the Red Grouse and most other wildlife, plus the environmental damage resulting from the so called "management" of the moors, hopefully the end is nigh for this pathetic activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaning Hobbler View Post
    Grouse moors are nothing but killing fields , both for the Red Grouse and most other wildlife, plus the environmental damage resulting from the so called "management" of the moors, hopefully the end is nigh for this pathetic activity.

Don't think government (and many others) agree with your sentiments, quote from DEFRA this week:

“The government recognises the benefits that grouse shooting, and shooting more widely, bring to individuals, the environment and the rural economy. It is for these reasons that the government believes shooting and other country pursuits such as hunting and fishing should be protected.”
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Don't think government (and many others) agree with your sentiments, quote from DEFRA this week:

“The government recognises the benefits that grouse shooting, and shooting more widely, bring to individuals, the environment and the rural economy. It is for these reasons that the government believes shooting and other country pursuits such as hunting and fishing should be protected.”
    If it's grouse moors, sheep farming or forestry, grouse moors do quite well for wildlife (except for raptors of course).

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    If it's grouse moors, sheep farming or forestry, grouse moors do quite well for wildlife (except for raptors of course).
    That depends on which species of wildlife you mean. Some species do artificially well due to lack of predation, mainly wading birds that breed on our uplands. That's because foxes, stoats and weasels are destroyed if they stray within the boundary of a grouse moor. Even mountain hares are culled in the name of grouse breeding. Of course all raptors are heavily protected by law so they should be safe from the keepers' traps and guns..?
    Grouse shooting has been outed and it is only a matter of time when the rich men will have to seek out their pleasure from some other, more defensible hobby.

On a slight digression from The Killing of Raptors (although very much tied in with that subject)…

Burning Issues

In a discussion about the perverseness of moorland burning adjacent to a wind farm, designed to reduce our carbon emissions, someone asked;

"Why do they burn in this way ? I thought that in England at least, burning [stubble anyway] is banned. How is this allowed?"

My answer to that question is thus;

"They burn in that way because they burn in that way.
    Who is to stop them burning in any way?
    Grouse shooting is exempt from rules and regulations; governments and royalty turn blind eyes.
    Keepers can do what they pretty much like; they cause environmental damage, kill many species of animals and birds – some of which are protected by law – and all in the name of mainly rich men shooting their loads out of their butts, destroying the very thing that all the burning and killing is carried out for – the Red Grouse.
    And often all of this being subsidised by public money.
    In a grouse eggshell that’s about it really.
    But, and it’s a big but, not a rich man’s big butt in a butt, the times they are a changin’ - as Bob said.
    The grouse brigade has finally been outed, and in time, a not-too-far-off time, our natural heritage will be managed for the good of it, and not abused by those rich men who like to blast birds out of the air – for their pleasure and no one else’s."

Link to the article concerning the perverseness of moor burning; https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wo...mply-perverse/

Do you have a major chip on your shoulder about "rich people"?

I have yet to see a plausible defence of driven grouse shooting from anyone, defra's defence of driven grouse shooting only reflects the fact that the upper echelons of the Conservative Party is stacked with people who enjoy slaughtering birds for fun and dont care about the consequences for wildlife or the environment. Good to see M &S are not selling grouse again this year, obviously they are more in touch with public opinion than defra.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Do you have a major chip on your shoulder about "rich people"?
    Which shoulder do you mean; left or right? As cheap as chips are I suppose I do have a few on both my shoulders, not so much about rich men but, not butt, more about rich men who use our natural heritage for their own gain and no ones else's. They are the very people who run the grouse brigade. They are the very people who are responsible for the demise of raptors on the grouse moors.