Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hours per week running?

Hours per week running?

How many hours are people running each week on average? How many do you need to maintain/improve from your current level? I'm currently running around 3 hours per week which feels low but I'm coming back from injury and definitely improving with this amount so no need to up it just yet!

Banned
    Depends on your goals Mark.
    You are the one who knows where he wants to be and what your targets are.
    Also the time you can spend running is up to you.

I know you wanted a number but it is each to their own depending on circumstances.

Hi Stagger, absolutely, just interested in what other people do. How much time do you spend running?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    2 years ago I was doing 4-5 hours a week. Long Sunday run, Park run on Saturday and a couple of hour sessions in the week with more specific focus eg hill reps.
    Struggled with injury for 12 months and now just do a modest hour or so on Sunday and maybe another in the week if up to it. However I do cycle 15 miles a day commuting and maybe a longer ride on Saturday up to 30 miles if time permits.
    Form hasn't dropped off too alarmingly but am probably lacking some stamina for longer races and some top end speed (not that I had much anyway!)

Banned
    When I have an interest in competitive running I used to run 3 times per week approx 60mins.
    A hill, tempo and easy.
    Always a couple of hours on my bike.
    I would diet too because my best weight is around 12st.

I only did up to AM races though.

Like most have said, I guess it depends what you want from running etc.

I did once read that to be "good", you need to put in 8 hours or so per week - that would include speed work, hills and a long run in there

Very specific thing though, works differently for everyone. I usually do about 5 hours per week but it varies depending on which race I do at weekend
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

About five hours over four or five runs, usually only one long run, sometimes two.

I generally do about 7-8hrs a week, which I find quite a strain if I try to make every session a hard quality session. I try to make 2-3hrs of that nice and easy but it's difficult not to get carried away.

Up until about 6 weeks ago i was probably doing around 10 hours a week but at least half of that was cross training, e.g cycle, stairclimber, cross trainer... But this was not showing any noticeable improvement in my racing so I've changed my focus a bit...

Hopefully I'll start to see some results!

Last couple of months I've been doing up to 6-7 hours of running each week including a long run most weekends. This has made an improvement to my running but I still have a long way to go. Hoping to up my running to 9-10 hours a week over the winter as I am now looking ahead to the Three Peaks next year, although this will only be the equivalent mileage of 5 hours of benshep running!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    When I was racing frequently (back in the 20th Century) I typically did 4 runs per week, totalling 3-4 hours, including one speedwork session. Whenever I tried doing more than that, I got injured; but in any case I was able to race at a level that satisfied me.

A few years ago, when I got the strange notion that I would like to do a few races again, I started doing 3 runs per week, totalling 2-2.5 hours (having been running once or twice a week in the intervening period). But see my recent post on the Injuries forum: last week I did two runs, totalling 1hr45mins, and I am still trying to recover from that!