Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hours per week running?

At present I am doing 2-3 hours per week tops. Often less, much less. Its all dependant on wether I get a long run/day out in. I'm running ok at present, slowly improving over the last few years...glacially slow improvements that is. I find the more often I run, the easier my running becomes which suggests for me its regularity that governs my form as far as speed is concerned.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Master
    I stopped racing around 18 months ago and now go out for the sheer love of being on the hills, I average around 24 hrs a week and on average do around 130K a week.
    So far this year I have done 5000K distance with 117,500 metres of ascent.

My stamina is good but if and when I decide I want to race again I will have to work on my speed, but to be honest I am very content just being out and enjoying my surroundings with no pressure to do anything other than what I feel like doing at any given time
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I stopped racing around 18 months ago and now go out for the sheer love of being on the hills, I average around 24 hrs a week and on average do around 130K a week.

My stamina is good but if and when I decide I want to race again I will have to work on my speed, but to be honest I am very content just being out and enjoying my surroundings with no pressure to do anything other than what I feel like doing at any given time
    Fantastic amount of time out! Brilliant! Demonstrates your liking/love of plan old off road running! I'll do well to get 1000 miles in this year, which will be best I've recorded!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

JohnK, that's some serious time up in the fells! Impressive stuff.

Well, I've ****** my Achilles so I'm on around 0.5 hrs per week.
    pies

I run 5 days a week, over four weeks I go from 4hr to 4:20,4:40,5:00 then back to 4:00 so it helps with recovery,also do blocks so a few weeks of strength,speed,endurance I am 69 now so if I do any more I fall asleep a lot,price for getting old.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    That's a lot of hours, no wonder your stamina is good! As other's have said, the kind of work you need to put in depends on what you want to get out of it. Broadly speaking more is better for just about any race distance but if you want to race loooong then you'll probably struggle if you can't get the volume of training in.

I've peaked about 12hrs/wk this year which is less than last year but with more quality work and some gym stuff besides. Hopefully get more mileage in over the winter. 2,667k and 152,432m vert for the year thus far. You know, roughly.
    Last edited by Ally; 24-10-2016 at 11:18 AM.