Thread: Lakes In A Day

Lakes In A Day

Haven’t found any previous posts on the forum about this event, which I find slightly surprising. It’s quoted as 50 miles and 4000m ascent and a race of two halves…… first part being approx. 30 miles of proper fell terrain from Caldbeck to Ambleside (a variation of legs 1 & 2 of the BGR), then followed by a trail run down the west side of lake Windermere and onto Cartmel.

Well, we (Mrs C and I) managed to finish in 15 hrs 46 mins and it really was an incredibly tough event – clocked 52.6 miles and 12,830 ft ascent (according to Tracklogs, based on my imported Garmin Fenix 3 activity I recorded - and we didn't deviate from the official route i.e. we didn't go walk-about on some sections). It’s much harder than say the Lakeland 50, which we did for the first time earlier in the year.

There’s a major amount of climb (3000m) in the first 30 miles……. and Clough Head was brutal as expected. Even when you get to Ambleside, there’s still 20 miles and 1000m of ascent remaining.

The weather was amazing. I ran in shorts and a very thin T-shirt for the whole race (from 8.00am to midnight) and even then was often too hot! Thankfully wasn’t 100% sunshine….. nice mix of partial cloud….. and only a modest breeze even on the tops. The views were stunning.

It’s a fantastically well organised event (only the 3rd year it’s been run) and the checkpoint food/drink options were excellent – the only “issue” is there are only 3 checkpoints… so it’s quite a tough 20 miles section between Threlkeld and Ambleside CPs. I had 1.5L of water and had ran out before even got to Grisedale Tarn – thankfully could fill-up there.

Prior to the race Barbara was having some concerns about her left knee – had been experiencing some severe pain for a few weeks. She had some treatment from physio a few days earlier and even ran with it strapped with KT. Sure enough, wasn’t long before it started to hurt. Lost track of how many ibuprofen she took during the day……. Not that they seemed to make any impact on the pain. There were many teary moments due to the severity of the pain – she said it felt like running with a broken leg. She’s a tough cookie and takes something major to prevent her from continuing, but at one point things were so bad it was almost certain that we’d pull out when we got to Ambleside (~30 miles). Thankfully we had a quick and enjoyable descent into Ambleside CP, and she perked-up and was adamant she wanted to continue (I was feeling pretty second-hand by then and would have happily dropped out!). Strangely the knee hurt more when walking rather than running…… which meant I had to run loads of bits in the last 20 miles that I would have probably otherwise walked at that point in the race! Funnily there was a moment during the race where I was wondering whether she was making it up about it not hurting as much when we ran…… thinking it was just a devious plan to keep me running.

Unexpectedly the route was really well signed from Ambleside to the finish, which removed any navigational issues during the night section. Although slightly disappointed as had especially recced that section and thought we’d have an advantage over people that hadn’t. But hey, great effort by the race crew to take the time and effort to put up a serious amount of signage and ensure everyone had a good race experience rather than wandering around off route, as there are many points to get the nav wrong. Ironically it’s trickier to nav in places than some of the open fell sections between Caldbeck and Ambleside.

So we were both deliriously happy to make it to the finish line after such a tough course and Barbara overcoming her knee issue. Quite a physical/emotional rollercoaster of a journey….. another epic Lakes adventure. She got a nice free leg massage at the finish, which she really enjoyed.

I’d definitely recommend this event to put on your “to do list”. We won’t do it next year (doing Langdale Horseshoe), but would consider having another go the year after.

Big thank you to James Thurlow RO and the Open Adventure team for a magnificent experience……… have done quite a few long events now and this ranks up there as one of the best in terms of route, organisation and execution. I quite enjoyed the Lakeland 50, but this event is better in terms of value for money and route choice.

We found a great place to stay in Grange-Over-Sands (from AirBnB), a few mins drive to Cartmel Priory School, so was easy to get to/from race HQ/finish on the morning for the bus transfer to Caldbeck. Then equally convenient to get back to having completed around midnight. Enjoyed baked potato, beans, cheese and a cheeky can of lager at the finish……. Before heading back for what felt like a most fabulous shower and a very welcoming bed at the B&B.
    Last edited by MarkClayton; 13-10-2016 at 12:26 AM.
    Totley AC

we were staying at Basecamp above High Wray, just before you head into Claiffe Heights, and there was a steady dribble of people all late afternoon (once back from Langdale) and early night. I even saw a pair of head torches at nearly 11pm - with about 15miles still to go it was a very long day out for some!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    we were staying at Basecamp above High Wray, just before you head into Claiffe Heights, and there was a steady dribble of people all late afternoon (once back from Langdale) and early night. I even saw a pair of head torches at nearly 11pm - with about 15miles still to go it was a very long day out for some!
    Yeah, there were still quite a few people finishing behind us. Last pair took 23 hrs 22 mins – so finishing 7:22 am Sunday!

Results here http://live.lakesinaday.co.uk/index.htm

Btw what is Basecamp………. a camping site, independent youth hostel or bunkhouse? Couldn’t easily identify it from the track we followed nearby. Also, well done with your Langdale run, 10th place, very impressive, especially in a champs race.
    Totley AC

Well done Mark, I did look at this, but the flatter second section did slightly put me off... From your report it sounds like an unjust decision though...! See you at lakes 42 or 10 Peaks if you are doing them next year...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkClayton View Post

Btw what is Basecamp………
    It's a National Trust site that they hire out as a bunches when not being used to house volunteers. Bunch of Sheffield Uni students in one cabin; bunch of disadvantaged kids from Blackpool in t'other.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well done Mark, I did look at this, but the flatter second section did slightly put me off... From your report it sounds like an unjust decision though...! See you at lakes 42 or 10 Peaks if you are doing them next year...
    Thanks Pete. Yes, the route from Ambleside is relatively flat compared to the earlier section, but is still quite undulating and pretty challenging with tired legs. Not sure if I’ll be doing LM42 or 10Ps again in 2017……. but am entered for the TdeH this December (a winter variation of LM42). Fancy a go at that one? Would also recommend OCT for 2017 if you’re looking for some new events…… it’s a classic.
    Totley AC

Hi Mark, i did consider the TdeH but unfortunately ran out of opportunities to get back up to the Lakes until after Xmas.

In terms of ultras, I will do Haworth Hobble and Lakes 42 again as a guide to my progress (or lack of) compared to this year... Definitely going to throw my hat into the ring with the 10 Peaks long course, and take it from there...