Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Omm 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Ok, so here's a question. It took us the best part of 10 minutes to mark up our maps (RAB - Long Score), but looking at the splits, some of the top-scoring teams got to the first control in about 11 or 12 minutes. How on earth do they do that? Do they not bother marking up their maps at all and just make it up as they go?
    Like you GeoffB we marked up both maps but I did question whether it was worth it when virtually every control on the map was active. For a planner it's hard to please everyone and it was good to have many controls to go for. A downside for us was that we spent both days on the Mallerstang side with many controls repeated. But in the end this was our choice.

Quote Originally Posted by philbrynmaen View Post
    Like you GeoffB we marked up both maps but I did question whether it was worth it when virtually every control on the map was active.
    Although seeing points values on the map is important in route selection.
    We have strayed slightly from the OMM thread (!) but I enjoyed having lots of controls to go at at the RAB, really made me think about options. Having to walk out on day two because of my partner's injury meant we didn't revisit controls, though.

That same injury meant we again had to drop out without doing day 2 on the OMM (neatly brought things back on subject there... ;-) ) after a slow day 1 (over 10 hours) with his back again painful - John thought it had healed after the RAB but clearly not.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Hi Geoff.
    We only mark one map up - my partner John reads the details out and I mark my map. As I'm doing it I get in my head which way round to go and the first control was then obvious. As we head there I start to plan the rest of the day, with options and decision points depending on the time at each point.
    Yes, apologies for the thread hijack. And you were one of the people I was thinking of, Bill! I'm impressed. But we are newcomers to this type of event and we only walk, so a few minutes here or there doesn't matter too much.