Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Women winning outright

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I believe Nicky won the long ultra lakes in a day or 10 peaks race, can't remember which one but will try and find out, about 2 or 3 years ago
    2014 10 Peaks Lakes Extreme route (similar to the BGR) Nicky finished first. See this link, might need to select extreme course

http://results.sportident.co.uk/home...e&mobile=false
    Totley AC

Not a fell race but just seen that Catherine Howard of Knowsley Harriers won the Bradford City Runs 10k yesterday in 37:04.

https://racebest.com/results/bradford-city-runs-10k

Quote Originally Posted by Martins Mrs View Post
    2012 Annabelle Mason was the winner
    It may have been low-key and low numbers but Annabel also won the first of Nicky's Hoppits Hill Race in 2013, despite both her and her dad John briefly going wrong at one point iirc.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Thank you for all your responses (and keep them coming). It's no surprise to me that there are plenty of incidences of women winning the more extreme ultra races, but what I have found more interesting are the four cases so far reported of women winning short fell races outright:
    Tracey Brindley at Aonach Mor 2010
    Mary Wilkinson at Cononley 2011
    Annabel Mason at Darwen Gala 2012
    Annabel Mason (again!) at Hoppits Hill 2013.
    And there are some impressive winning margins: 48s for Mary at Cononley, 55s for Annabel at Darwen, both of which are very substantial in races with winning times less than 30 minutes.

Holmfirth Harrier's very own Katie Walshaw won the Coiners race in 2014 by some 40 seconds, not surprisingly setting a new Ladies record in the process!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    Holmfirth Harrier's very own Katie Walshaw won the Coiners race in 2014 . . .
    . . . as mentioned in my original post; one of the few cases that I was aware of.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lizzie Browne (nee Adams) has a few outright wins to her name, both in the Peak and in S Lakes.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Thank you for all your responses (and keep them coming). It's no surprise to me that there are plenty of incidences of women winning the more extreme ultra races, but what I have found more interesting are the four cases so far reported of women winning short fell races outright:
    Tracey Brindley at Aonach Mor 2010
    Mary Wilkinson at Cononley 2011
    Annabel Mason at Darwen Gala 2012
    Annabel Mason (again!) at Hoppits Hill 2013.
    And there are some impressive winning margins: 48s for Mary at Cononley, 55s for Annabel at Darwen, both of which are very substantial in races with winning times less than 30 minutes.
    Anthony

Thank you for one of the more interesting posts.

I did some work on a similar theme a few years ago (June 2006 Fellrunner - Peris Horseshoe Unbeatable Women's Record?) and at the Gt. Whernside race a couple of weeks ago I was reflecting that even an outstanding female runner like Victoria Wilkinson could "only" come 15th illustrating that because of physiology, all things being equal, a man is almost always going to beat a woman in a fell race.

And yes there are these 3 cases in English fell races but, for example, and with respect to Brett, Cononley (which I have raced) was a low key village gala (now defunct) race and in 2011 45% of the field of 33 were not even club runners.

Three cases in many thousands of fell races illustrates the reality that however good you are as a woman runner only in small/not very competitive, etc fell races do you have any chance of beating men with their inherent brute strength.

IIRC Carol Greenwood, who was the outstanding woman runner of her time and whose name still appears as a record holder, was leading my local Eldwick Gala race at the trig but was overtaken on the descent because men just have longer legs than she had.

Anyway, a stimulating post and I look forward to reading your full and erudite article in The Fellrunner!

Graham
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    . . . as mentioned in my original post; one of the few cases that I was aware of.
    Apologies - it was late....!!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you