Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Women winning outright

It was a fine race and although a CS rivalled the great Yorkshire BL, the Three Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    and with respect to Brett, Cononley (which I have raced) was a low key village gala (now defunct) race and in 2011 45% of the field of 33 were not even club runners.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    It was a fine race and although a CS rivalled the great Yorkshire BL, the Three Peaks
    Nay! Better than that overhyped trail race for southern tourists some would say and, as I recall, your kit check was much more rigorous although you did allow runners discretion on which leg they wore the obligatory single wellington.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Helen Fines Llyn Y Fan 18th September 2010 50:03, 2nd place ran 53:21

Charlie Bradshaw at Darren Holloway's Buttermere Horseshoe, short course,13 miles 5000 ft. Second place overall and only 52 seconds behind the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Charlie Bradshaw at Darren Holloway's Buttermere Horseshoe, short course,13 miles 5000 ft. Second place overall and only 52 seconds behind the winner.
    ...and she was in first place until she hit the bracken from hell on the final climb onto Melbreak. Not bad considering it was only her 3rd ever fell race.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Just seen this: the 2017 Waseley Wobbler wesults show a wather wemarkable winning margin for a woman; similar to that for Helen Fines at Llyn y Fan 2010 (see the earlier post by The_Saint), but in a much bigger field: http://www.waseleywobbler.com/results2017.pdf

The Waseley Wobbler is the successor to the North Worcestershire Hill Race (which actually gets a mention in the appendix to Studmarks on the Summits)
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    I have just seen in the Results section of the latest Fellrunner mag that we have another instance: Holly Page winning the inaugural Saddleworth Round by a cool seven and a half minutes. I also noticed that she was the only under-40 runner in the first ten.

Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing . . .
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I have just seen in the Results section of the latest Fellrunner mag that we have another instance: Holly Page winning the inaugural Saddleworth Round by a cool seven and a half minutes. I also noticed that she was the only under-40 runner in the first ten.

Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing . . .
    I think an academic treatise is required from you Anthony for The Fellrunner and to help you on your way whilst everyone knows about Sarah Rowell and the Seven Sisters Marathon (albeit this was not a fell race!) I remind you that Carol Greenwood won the Erringden Moor race outright in April 1998, allegedly the first time this had happened in a fell race (June 1998 Fellrunner, page 10.)

I suppose I could do this myself but in my twilight years I feel I should stay silent to encourage you much younger writers.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-01-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    I remind you that Carol Greenwood won the Erringden Moor race outright in April 1998
    . . . as mentioned in my original post.

I think an academic treatise is required from you Anthony for The Fellrunner
    Maybe some time, but when it comes to doing thorough historical research I am not in the same league as Bill Smith or even yourself, Graham.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Jasmine Paris currently 3rd overall on the Spine race and closing in on the top 2