Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Payed support for BGR.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Not much to discuss surely? Plainly wrong in so many ways.

It is one of the traditions of the Club that existing members will assist their aspiring colleagues by 'pacing' their attempts.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Banned
    Bargain.
    Thanks very much ��

It'll be going round the Bog Graham Round route, but it wont be a Bob Graham Round
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    It'll be going round the Bog Graham Round route, but it wont be a Bob Graham Round
    Agree. Nice summary.
    Totley AC

Master
    Oh dear, it makes my heart sink when I read this stuff. I am not a fan of executive challenges/bucket list type stuff and I really don't want to see The BGR reduced to that.

Be interesting to see uptake on this. They at least point out it's not the best way to do it and that 'times change', but they are pushing the change somewhat.

The punctuation throughout the website pretty shite as well.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Oh dear, it makes my heart sink when I read this stuff. I am not a fan of executive challenges/bucket list type stuff and I really don't want to see The BGR reduced to that.
    Mmmh. I, of course, understand the "traditional model" of club members who want to do their BGR getting their club mates to support them and then in turn they help etc etc. Been there.

But we have seen people from, let us say, the south coming on here asking for people to help and that support being volunteered by, in effect, complete strangers. I've talked to runners who arrived at the leg rendezvous to support, did the leg and never saw the aspirant again. More hit and miss than a noble fell running challenge.

So it seems to me that the only difference here is that someone is seeking payment for their efforts in providing more professional support and I'm not sure that justifies any pious "holier than thou" criticism.

People have been carried round the BGR for years, rather like up Mt Everest and the fees proposed here for BGR support are relatively modest in comparison.

I don't care a jot but I think it's all very interesting.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Mmmh. I, of course, understand the "traditional model" of club members who want to do their BGR getting their club mates to support them and then in turn they help etc etc. Been there.

But we have seen people from, let us say, the south coming on here asking for people to help and that support being volunteered by, in effect, complete strangers. I've talked to runners who arrived at the leg rendezvous to support, did the leg and never saw the aspirant again. More hit and miss than a noble fell running challenge.

So it seems to me that the only difference here is that someone is seeking payment for their efforts in providing more professional support and I'm not sure that justifies any pious "holier than thou" criticism.

People have been carried round the BGR for years, rather like up Mt Everest and the fees proposed here for BGR support are relatively modest in comparison.

I don't care a jot but I think it's all very interesting.
    That is a absolutely spot on GB.

Each to their own though. The traditional is a nice thought but reality is people want to just get round.

Super Moderator
    The web site is a shambles. Grammar, spelling etc is appalling. What struck me is there is absolutely no mention of safety on the hill; tellingly if you fail you lose your deposit, not we'll get you off the hill safe and warm. In my experience rounds don't "peter out" at road crossings and getting a runner off the fell and back to safety can be a big undertaking

I don't worry about stuff like this tbh. The round is way too hard for tourists to complete. I agree with Graham; it'll be interesting to see how it develops

An obvious thing is the web-site has been knocked up at minimum cost (this post has been proof read and edited more). My guess is they'll have few takers, and even fewer successes. Ironically I think they'd have been better off starting with three days "tours" and working down (or up!) to one day rounds. Three day success well presented on a good platform would have been much more attractive than their shambolic offer

One last point: are the tie-ins with Leki and L50 / 100 official? There's more about poles than food in the FAQ section
    Poacher turned game-keeper