Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Payed support for BGR.

'Isn't it Ironic...' that this forum critises grammar of a web page but not the forum itself. 'Payed'???

Moving on...I applaud his ingenuity in finding the obvious opportunity and trying to exploit it, though it goes against how I would like to do a BGR; though doing a BGR the way most people do it (road and hill support), is against how I would do it also.

'As a fell-running ML' as Ian is, I would prefer an in-sight, bivi in bag, have stab and see how far I get approach. I know my body limits and how to get off the hill safely when those limits have been reached - this however is the crux of the service being offered: most people don't have those hill days of fitness and experience to draw upon, therefore they go to a man who can.

I apologise abjectly for 'payed'. It must have been an abberayshun as I am a gud speler ordinerlilly. Maybe it was the excitement. Or the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    I apologise abjectly for 'payed'. It must have been an abberayshun as I am a gud speler ordinerlilly. Maybe it was the excitement. Or the iPhone.
    You should have gone for remuneratory.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 05-11-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I am utterly outraged.
    I am not a party robot.

I don't expect to get payed (or even paid) for the support I'm giving one of my clubmates for his forthcoming round.
    However, if he doesn't arrange for pie, chips and a pint of Jennings in the Odd fellows afterwards then they'll be trouble......
    See the light in the night

'They'll'. Now you're at it, Mark!

Spelling and grammar aside, I think it's actually a pretty good website and I would applaud their efforts in making a living out of doing what we love. Their business is about a lot more than just BGR guiding.

That said, like many grumpy old blokes, I have a natural cynicism about those who want to move from triathlon or other endurance events into fell-running, but by-passing the skills and experience gained by actually spending time in the hills with a quick-fix payment.

That's probably just sour-grapes on my part though, and a general reluctance to accept that the way people approach things changes with time and circumstance.

Whether anyone completing a round using a paid guide should be in the Club or not - well, that's surely a Moot point........

I see what you did there.

Isn't guiding a significant part of our fell running and racing tradition. Where would we be now without it?

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    'They'll'. Now you're at it, Mark!
    Oops. So much for autocorrect. Bah!
    See the light in the night