Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aerobic Threshold test

Put some weight on 77.4kg,but the run was ok, wind speed 8kph HR average 130 time was 65:19, that's 1:30 faster, so still improving
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

I read so many things about Vo2 max being critical, but having been a heavy smoker for a lot of my life it is really low. I HR zone train a fair bit and it's a great marker for improving fitness.

From what I have read, Vo2 is not as important as how efficient your running style is, Frank Shorter had a Vo2 max of only 70% compared to others with over 80%, but he won the Olympic gold for the marathon because he ran with a smooth style and wasted no energy.
    Last edited by Big Compass; 06-02-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Spelling name wrong

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Compass View Post
    From what I have read, Vo2 is not as important as how efficient your running style is, Frank Shotter had a Vo2 max of only 70% compared to others with over 80%, but he won the Olympic gold for the marathon because he ran with a smooth style and wasted no energy.
    Both V02 max and efficiency are important, as is the % of V02 max that can be maintained over the race distance.
    A V02 max of "only" 70 is still pretty impressive: a person with a V02 max of 70 and average efficiency could do a 4.20 mile, a 31 min 10 km, a 69 min half, and a 2.23 full marathon - pretty good times.
    How/where V02 max is determined is debated - I think it is in the mitochondria in the muscles, not the heart or lungs - as long as the heart and lungs are healthy. The lungs can supply all the O2 we need up to 3,000 ft above sea level, and get rid of all the CO2 we produce, and the heart will pump out all the blood that is returned to it. Interestingly, we inherit our mitochondria from our mothers - so choose your mother carefully.

Good to see other post on here, like it, at it again this week no change in weight,wind speed was 14kph,distance came out as 10.03km,time 65:03 HR average 130, not any real change from last week then.Did a test run for my max HR because it is almost a year since my last one and it is a bit lower so from now on will go for an average of 128 +- 2 bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Both V02 max and efficiency are important, as is the % of V02 max that can be maintained over the race distance.
    A V02 max of "only" 70 is still pretty impressive: a person with a V02 max of 70 and average efficiency could do a 4.20 mile, a 31 min 10 km, a 69 min half, and a 2.23 full marathon - pretty good times.
    How/where V02 max is determined is debated - I think it is in the mitochondria in the muscles, not the heart or lungs - as long as the heart and lungs are healthy. The lungs can supply all the O2 we need up to 3,000 ft above sea level, and get rid of all the CO2 we produce, and the heart will pump out all the blood that is returned to it. Interestingly, we inherit our mitochondria from our mothers - so choose your mother carefully.
    I think the figure you refer to is known as vV02 max Mike. Ie. your velocity at your V02 max.
    Would love to have a V02 max of 70. Mine, given to me by my Suunto is only 33! Lol

Would love to have a full controlled test for Vo2 and Max HR,lactate threshold, but I think it will cost over £100,don't think I could justify that to the wife at my age.

Do some Unis and that ask for volunteers from time to time? For research and stuff?

Had a problem with static so could not be sure of HR this week, my weight was 75.9kg and wind speed 14kph did the run on how I felt because of problems, my time was 62:46 a small gain.
    With the cold I did not sweat until half way round and my spit went dry, had a new battery in chest strap all to no avail,have got some gel which worked, so will keep using that.

Latest run,time was 65:50 and my average HR 128, wind speed 14kph a bit disappointed at first then put the data into the computer and found my efficiency factory had gone up,so this was not a bad run in the end.