Thread: Fell Running Good Causes

Fell Running Good Causes

Ok. I'm not sure but I think that all Fell Races support good causes, local community's or charity of some sort. Correct me if I am wrong? I'm going to whittle on a bit here but bear with me all will become clear - or maybe not ;-)
    Today I marshalled and took a few photos at the "Leg it Round Lathkil" fell race. It's part of the Lathkil Family day and all monies go to "Children in need". Love this race, organisation, and helpers are top notch.
    When in my photo spot there were a lot of walkers (loads!) as it's a top tourist walking place. Many heard the runners coming and moved out of the way, applauding as they passed. However, there were equal amounts that did not give way and had faces like thunder at runners trying to get past. I never saw one runner being disrespectful some even went well off line to get past.
    I totally understand that the fells and dales are for all but I do wonder if we as organisers could do more so the ordinary Joe public knew what we were doing?
    When runners were coming past I shouted - if walkers were in the way "Great running guys! Think of all the money being raised for Children in Need". So many walkers then moved off path and cheered the runners on. I really don't think they know.
    We the public are used to "Road Races" and many "Trail Races" being big business that makes money for business and perhaps gives a small percentage to local communities or good causes that we forget the Fell Racing Community that give it all.
    Myself and MrRTS organise a fell race as do so many others. We take days off work AL to ensure it goes ahead smoothly and everyone had fun. Our Entry coordinators, marshals, timers,helpers give up hours of their time to ensure we keep our fell running tradition going with no monetary gain.
    Let me applaud the FRA now as our race would not go ahead without their help. Insurance, radio & equipment loan, invaluable advice and wide spread advertisement. We as members of the FRA as very lucky to be part of such a well run organisation.
    Anyway, how can we spread the word that we are just trying to have fun whilst keeping a grassroots tradition going and giving money to good causes?
    Or perhaps you dont think we should bother.
    I want us all to enjoy the hills, fells and dales however you traverse them.
    Last edited by RaceTheSweeper; 14-11-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    Anyway, how can we spread the word that we are just trying to have fun while keeping a grass routes tradition going while giving money to good causes?
    On a marked course, an obvious way to make bystanders aware of what is going on would be to have the charity logo displayed prominently on the route markers and marshalls' tabards. A bit more work (and possibly expense?) for the organisers, and probably easier when it's an established charity like Children in Need than when the race is just raising funds for the village hall.

On another recent thread, there has been some banter about spelling and grammar mistakes. Some mistakes are more appropriate than others, but "grass routes tradition" as a description of fell-running is one the finest!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    On a marked course, an obvious way to make bystanders aware of what is going on would be to have the charity logo displayed prominently on the route markers and marshalls' tabards. A bit more work (and possibly expense?) for the organisers, and probably easier when it's an established charity like Children in Need than when the race is just raising funds for the village hall.

On another recent thread, there has been some banter about spelling and grammar mistakes. Some mistakes are more appropriate than others, but "grass routes tradition" as a description of fell-running is one the finest!
    sorry, is that better? ;-) I like the idea of putting it on markers. It would not be that much work as our fell race is a few little written signs around the course so adding "proceeds to ......." would not be that much trouble. Good idea :-)
    Last edited by RaceTheSweeper; 14-11-2016 at 06:47 AM.

perhaps the runners could run past the walkers rattling buckets. This would serve two purposes. It would warn the walkers they were coming through and collect further monies for the said charity

fell running good causes

Great suggestion putting notices out, but i reckon if YOU were to make and position the signs, after first consulting the organisers, it would go down well. We organisers have enough to do as it is. Especialy nowadays with additional red tape & paperwork !! Good luck and well done for marshalling. AG
    Allan Greenwood - Calder Valley Fell Runners