Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escape From Meriden Ultra

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Escape From Meriden Ultra

I've just entered this race, and whilst it is not on the fells, the nature of it may well catch the imagination of people on here...

It is a 24 hour ultra with no course, no checkpoints, no finish line.

It starts at a memorial in the village of Meriden (between Coventry and Birmingham) at the very centre point of England. Racers have a 24 hour time limit to travel as far as possible from the start point, as the crow flies. So a large element of route picking and finding involved, to ensure maximum efficiency of route.

I've got a route sort of finalised in my head, I won't divulge it too much, but probably going to be heading north west. Gold award is 60 miles as the crow flies, which will probably mean travelling approx 70 miles. The top award is at 90 miles as the crow flies.

Race isn't until November next year, although there is also a summer version in June. I think places are limited to 100 in each event, and the organiser was claiming that 40% of entries gone already, and they only came on sale today. This is the same company who puts on the Apocalypse Ultras and the Offas Dyke race.

About 35 quid entry for a solo, although I think pairs can also enter.

escapefrommeriden.co.uk. Is the website, they also have a Facebook page (Beyond Marathon is the company behind it). I've never done any of their events but am informed they are very good. Although this one will be pretty minimal in terms of interaction out on the 'course'....!

Pete

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've just entered this race, and whilst it is not on the fells, the nature of it may well catch the imagination of people on here...

It is a 24 hour ultra with no course, no checkpoints, no finish line.

It starts at a memorial in the village of Meriden (between Coventry and Birmingham) at the very centre point of England. Racers have a 24 hour time limit to travel as far as possible from the start point, as the crow flies. So a large element of route picking and finding involved, to ensure maximum efficiency of route.

I've got a route sort of finalised in my head, I won't divulge it too much, but probably going to be heading north west. Gold award is 60 miles as the crow flies, which will probably mean travelling approx 70 miles. The top award is at 90 miles as the crow flies.

Race isn't until November next year, although there is also a summer version in June. I think places are limited to 100 in each event, and the organiser was claiming that 40% of entries gone already, and they only came on sale today. This is the same company who puts on the Apocalypse Ultras and the Offas Dyke race.

About 35 quid entry for a solo, although I think pairs can also enter.

escapefrommeriden.co.uk. Is the website, they also have a Facebook page (Beyond Marathon is the company behind it). I've never done any of their events but am informed they are very good. Although this one will be pretty minimal in terms of interaction out on the 'course'....!

Pete
    Having been to Meriden, I can confirm it is a good place to escape from!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Can you use a Lamborghini? if not how do they know you have not used one or stop you using one?

It's a monitored by live tracking, so they know how fast you're travelling. It was rather interesting to see some of the pics of the tracker at various stages on this year's race...

A lot of people looked like they had headed down the A5 towards London, and the next most popular route seemed to be down the Fosse Way past Swindon (this was my first idea of a route, followed by thoughts of north-east through Leicestershire. However I'm planning a route that crosses Birmingham and the Black Country, then escapes from roads for the most part.

Although looking at the final tracker image, somebody appeared to run out of land and stopped at the Wirral, and someone ended up near The Wash.

Pete.S I live four miles from Meriden, and round here it's considered a nice area.... Which doesn't say much about this area in general....!

Pete.S I live four miles from Meriden, and round here it's considered a nice area.... Which doesn't say much about this area in general....!
    Only having a laugh - didn't mean to upset any Merideners. I'm sure its a lovely place really - just didn't strike me as the sort of place that I would want to live. There again, there are not many places I would want to live and half of them probably wouldn't want me as a resident anyway!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

A lot of people looked like they had headed down the A5 towards London, and the next most popular route seemed to be down the Fosse Way past Swindon (this was my first idea of a route, followed by thoughts of north-east through Leicestershire. However I'm planning a route that crosses Birmingham and the Black Country, then escapes from roads for the most part.
    Grand Union, Birmingham main line and then Shropshire Union canals would get you a long way.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Can you use a Lamborghini? if not how do they know you have not used one or stop you using one?
    It's only about 5 miles to Birmingham airport, which must open up a few possibilities.

Guess I wouldn't get a full quota of tea in en route then.... Sounds nutty! But fun to watch the trackers

That's the plan... Canal into Brimingham and through the Black County, and Shropshire Union in the direction of Market Drayton-Nantwich-Chester...

No offence taken on my location of residence by the way... I'm well used to it, and fully aware that Coventry is not the most salubrious area to come from!! Meriden is nice for round here, but yes it's nothing special....
    Last edited by Travs; 29-11-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    That's the plan... Canal into Brimingham and through the Black County, and Shropshire Union in the direction of Market Drayton-Nantwich-Chester...
    I have just looked at a map, and the Shropshire Union does appear to be much straighter than most of our canals. Just remember to bear left when you get to Chester: you don't want to be the bloke who runs out of land on the Wirral. If you are really going well, you could have a glorious midnight finish along the promenade at Llandudno!