I've just entered this race, and whilst it is not on the fells, the nature of it may well catch the imagination of people on here...

It is a 24 hour ultra with no course, no checkpoints, no finish line.

It starts at a memorial in the village of Meriden (between Coventry and Birmingham) at the very centre point of England. Racers have a 24 hour time limit to travel as far as possible from the start point, as the crow flies. So a large element of route picking and finding involved, to ensure maximum efficiency of route.

I've got a route sort of finalised in my head, I won't divulge it too much, but probably going to be heading north west. Gold award is 60 miles as the crow flies, which will probably mean travelling approx 70 miles. The top award is at 90 miles as the crow flies.

Race isn't until November next year, although there is also a summer version in June. I think places are limited to 100 in each event, and the organiser was claiming that 40% of entries gone already, and they only came on sale today. This is the same company who puts on the Apocalypse Ultras and the Offas Dyke race.

About 35 quid entry for a solo, although I think pairs can also enter.

escapefrommeriden.co.uk. Is the website, they also have a Facebook page (Beyond Marathon is the company behind it). I've never done any of their events but am informed they are very good. Although this one will be pretty minimal in terms of interaction out on the 'course'....!

Pete