Thread: Hurst Green Turkey trot

Hurst Green Turkey trot

Well brothers and sisters, does anyone know anything about this pre Christmas jaunt. My wife's Aunty has convinced me to enter.

about 4 miles, starts on road 1st mile or so, then trail most of the way. Can get a bit peaty in the woods as you turn for home. Probably a Cat C in terms of climb.
    Plenty go in fancy dress.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Route here if you can view it - https://www.strava.com/activities/449516357

Great race, route is brill and varied in terrain and everyone has a laugh
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Coincidence or what?

The last time I did Turkey Trot in 2013 we went to the cinema that night and watched The Hobbit. During the film I whispered to my wife, " this reminds me of the dark wooded section during today's race". My wife's reply basically implied she'd never be doing the race herself.

Jump forward 3 years and tonight I find myself coincidentally watching The Hobbit....this time at home. If you're familiar with The Hobbit film series you'll be aware of the fantasy and adventure encountered by hobbit Bilbo Baggins, no matter what obstacles he's faced with he miraculously triumphs.

I had my own Bilbo moment today....I'd persuaded Alison to run in today's race....and she absolutely loved it.

Race organiser Chris has hit upon a winning formula. He's created a race that has a fantastic 'feel good' atmosphere with possibly the highest percentage of fancy dress runners I've encountered during any race. He's also come up with a great route that certainly gets the heart and legs pounding. The sharp end of today's race had elite runners, male and female, giving it their full respect.

The prize giving was worth the entry fee alone, it was brilliantly attended and proper entertaining. Chris had a game going where race category winners could gamble their prize for a greater reward. If the gambler was unsuccessful he/she walked through the pub to shouts of, "greedy,greedy,greedy"......fantastic.

Many thanks to Chris and all his helpers.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Bearing in mind that Tolkien's son was educated at nearby Stoneyhurst College. His description of the "Lord of the Rings" landscape was based on what he saw when walking around the area. There is a Tolkien Trail that we do as a Bowland Bat Run.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Coincidence or what?

The last time I did Turkey Trot in 2013 we went to the cinema that night and watched The Hobbit. During the film I whispered to my wife, " this reminds me of the dark wooded section during today's race". My wife's reply basically implied she'd never be doing the race herself.

Jump forward 3 years and tonight I find myself coincidentally watching The Hobbit....this time at home. If you're familiar with The Hobbit film series you'll be aware of the fantasy and adventure encountered by hobbit Bilbo Baggins, no matter what obstacles he's faced with he miraculously triumphs.

I had my own Bilbo moment today....I'd persuaded Alison to run in today's race....and she absolutely loved it.

Race organiser Chris has hit upon a winning formula. He's created a race that has a fantastic 'feel good' atmosphere with possibly the highest percentage of fancy dress runners I've encountered during any race. He's also come up with a great route that certainly gets the heart and legs pounding. The sharp end of today's race had elite runners, male and female, giving it their full respect.

The prize giving was worth the entry fee alone, it was brilliantly attended and proper entertaining. Chris had a game going where race category winners could gamble their prize for a greater reward. If the gambler was unsuccessful he/she walked through the pub to shouts of, "greedy,greedy,greedy"......fantastic.

Many thanks to Chris and all his helpers.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Well that was a fine day out. A great route and more fancy dress than I've ever seen in a race. Glad that I was able to beat Donald Trump! Nice to have a chat with Alison, long suffering partner of Tindersticks, and I'm glad she enjoyed it - even the two bog paddling pools. The descent is great and their was plenty of mud about. Three women in the top ten finishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    The last time I did Turkey Trot in 2013 we went to the cinema that night and watched The Hobbit. During the film I whispered to my wife, " this reminds me of the dark wooded section during today's race"
    I have had that feeling for some time up in Billinge Woods above Witton. It's so quiet and particularly at dawn or dusk it's quite haunting, you can imagine a few of the old tress are preparing for an ent moot

Woodland sections of races can be excellent and the TT is a good route that the FRA should have allowed to register when it was first set up.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell