Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: bob graham without traini

I've always found that the first time I do any particular journey whether it's on foot, by bike or in a car then it seems to take forever. Subsequent trips feel much quicker, even if they probably aren't, as I tick off features or points of interest or whatever as I have subconsciously split the route into smaller segments.

My point about LDWA members on the BGR wasn't that they could just turn up and do it but that with a bit of training or route adaptation, i.e. getting some climbs done, then they'd be as likely to succeed as a fell runner whose longest race or runs were in the order of a typical medium length race.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I've always found that the first time I do any particular journey whether it's on foot, by bike or in a car then it seems to take forever. Subsequent trips feel much quicker, even if they probably aren't, as I tick off features or points of interest or whatever as I have subconsciously split the route into smaller segments.
    Mmmh. You should test that theory by driving from Ilkley to south London, including the full length of the M1, twice a week for 6 years.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

More fool you I'd say Graham
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

More fool you I'd say Graham
    Yep! That's what I concluded after a (very) high speed T- bone crash.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    That`s interesting as for me it is the opposite, probably because I never recce anything but spend hours poring over maps and researching routes. Then come the day of the trip I am absorbed in my surroundings and putting my research into practice and to be honest the research is for me an integral part of the enjoyment of being out on the hills or wherever.
    I can never understand why somebody would want another person to navigate for them, after all navigation is surely a huge part of the pleasure and challenge of a good day out
    The older I get the Faster I was

I agree with both Bob and JohnK. I love poring over maps, planning routes and trying to come up with clever route choices. When I did the bgr, although I had (very pleased to have had) lovely supporters I wanted to feel like I could have done it by myself, hence I carried and used my own map/food/clothes etc.

I do find though that the 3rd or 4th running of a long route always seems to pass faster in my mind than the first couple. For me its because I know what's coming, what to expect and I'm not seeing new places/sights (a bit like Christmas seeming to come round faster each year). It is also a lot easier mentally to be knackered with 15 miles to go, when you know exactly what those 15 miles hold, rather than being knackered with an unknown 15 miles ahead of you...

A wise man once said that the best form of time travel is to keep doing different things or going to different places.
    Last edited by PiesAreGood; 09-12-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Strange, I posted yesterday and it seems to have disappeared?
    I did the Welsh valleys 100 miler, in horrible conditions. But worth noting is the fact the first runner to finish was a local mid Wales runner I had known over the years.
    He is basically a road runner, also a V60 then and had been 2nd V60 in that springs London marathon (I recall about 3 hrs time). So a good off road effort in very tough conditions - also 15,000ft ascent - not as severe as a BG but shows that a good road based mileage should not be dismissed.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Strange, I posted yesterday and it seems to have disappeared?
    I did the Welsh valleys 100 miler, in horrible conditions. But worth noting is the fact the first runner to finish was a local mid Wales runner I had known over the years.
    He is basically a road runner, also a V60 then and had been 2nd V60 in that springs London marathon (I recall about 3 hrs time). So a good off road effort in very tough conditions - also 15,000ft ascent - not as severe as a BG but shows that a good road based mileage should not be dismissed.

Oh Molehill we all know some mods are bg fans.
    That my good friend is why posts disappear ��

Super Moderator
    I certainly haven't deleted Moley's post. One of my very favourite BG memories was picking up a 2 hr 50 min marathoner at Wasdale and seeing him finish his round seven hours or so later

Anyway, great thread. I'm enjoying the discussion and it's good to see Graham's relatively rare contributions in this section of the forum
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I paced a friend a few years ago who got round comfortably. Somewhere in the Langdales he asked me if I fancied another go at it and I said sorry, no, the longest runs I've been having this year have only been 6 hours or so. He replied that most of his had only been two hours - so he certainly got round without 'training' in the traditional BG sense.