Thread: Two Bikes for Sale

Dawes Super Galaxy

In direct contradiction of the N+1 rule I'm selling two bikes to make way for a new tourer and give me a bit more space in the garage. Both in good condition and can be seen/ridden in the Shap/Penrith area.

1) Dawes Galaxy Touring Bike, Medium (Its a sloping top tube/semi compact frame). Reynolds 853, 105STI/Deore groupset, mudguards and rack plus front lowriders, recent new tyres (Schwalbe Marathons) and wheels. Ready to tour, has found its way to Jura every May since I got it for some reason. £550

2) (Now Sold) Genesis Day 1 Alfine 11. 52cm. Reynolds 853, Disc brakes, Alfine 11 speed internal hub gears, mudguards and rear rack. More of a drop bar all round/winter/commuter bike than the Dawes but the gearing is sufficiently low for lighter touring - I've used it for the C2C. £675

Thanks for looking

Mark Graham
    Last edited by Mark G; 18-12-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    In direct contradiction of the N+1 rule I'm selling two bikes to make way for a new tourer and give me a bit more space in the garage. Both in good condition and can be seen/ridden in the Shap/Penrith area.

1) Dawes Galaxy Touring Bike, Medium (Its a sloping top tube/semi compact frame). Reynolds 853, 105STI/Deore groupset, mudguards and rack plus front lowriders, recent new tyres (Schwalbe Marathons) and wheels. Ready to tour, has found its way to Jura every May since I got it for some reason. £550

2) Genesis Day 1 Alfine 11. 52cm. Reynolds 853, Disc brakes, Alfine 11 speed internal hub gears, mudguards and rear rack. More of a drop bar all round/winter/commuter bike than the Dawes but the gearing is sufficiently low for lighter touring - I've used it for the C2C. £675

Thanks for looking

Mark Graham
    Mark,
    the burning question, what's replacing these two steeds?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Mark,
    the burning question, what's replacing these two steeds?
    'Burning' is an apt word, its going to be a Tour de Fer 20, but with some gearing modifications to help drag heavy loads over steep hills.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    'Burning' is an apt word, its going to be a Tour de Fer 20, but with some gearing modifications to help drag heavy loads over steep hills.

Mark
    Very Nice. Not dissimilar to my Soma Juice which I've built up as an on/off road tourer cum winter bike. Full Deore XT (11-32 x 44/32/22) drive train with bar end shifters in semi-drop moustache bars (On-One Midge), plus TRP Spyre disc brakes.

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Hmm, that Genesis Day One looks tempting. My 32-year-old Hetchins has needed quite a few parts replacing recently, but could I actually bear to replace the bike itself? [Quite apart from trying to explain to my wife that I want to go to Cumbria to look at a bike.]

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Very Nice. Not dissimilar to my Soma Juice which I've built up as an on/off road tourer cum winter bike. Full Deore XT (11-32 x 44/32/22) drive train with bar end shifters in semi-drop moustache bars (On-One Midge), plus TRP Spyre disc brakes.

Ian.
    Cheers Ian, I'm going for 11-34 with 48/38/26 as for some reason I don't fully understand I've found myself engaging bottom gear on my Galaxy (26/32) on occasion. Its always nice to have one lower gear than you actually need!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Mark, despite the flippant comments on my earlier post, I think I am seriously interested in the Genesis. I will send you a PM with some queries.

Thanks Anthony, I've replied to your pm.

The Dawes is now £500 and can be seen in Arragons bike shop, Penrith - they have put it up for sale on my behalf after I collected my new bike.

Genesis now sold, Dawes still for sale.