Thread: Bypassing Garmin Express

Bypassing Garmin Express

I recently bought this App for £2.50, and now I can transfer activities directly from my Garmin 310XT to the Garmin Connect app (also Strava or whatever you choose) on my Google Nexus 7 (2013) tablet. Other early Garmin watches and other tablets / phones will also work. So now when Express fails, I haven't lost my data, and away from home all I need is a wifi connection. Daniel the developer has made the setting up painless, he replies quickly to emails and he promises money back if his app doesn't work for you.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Interesting Alexandra. Do you still need the ANT stick connected to your tablet?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay, I only just found your query. For the 310XT you have to connect an ANT stick to your tablet via the OTG cable. I think this is because the 310XT downloads wirelessly. I believe that for other Forerunners that normally download via a cable supplied with them, the OTG cable and ANT stick are not needed. However I'm not absolutely sure. It may also depend on your tablet. I suggest you trawl through the buyer reviews or email Daniel directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Sorry for the delay, I only just found your query. For the 310XT you have to connect an ANT stick to your tablet via the OTG cable. I think this is because the 310XT downloads wirelessly. I believe that for other Forerunners that normally download via a cable supplied with them, the OTG cable and ANT stick are not needed. However I'm not absolutely sure. It may also depend on your tablet. I suggest you trawl through the buyer reviews or email Daniel directly.
    This is because the 310XT isn't Bluetooth-capable and the data has to get into the device somehow or other, hence the cable adaptor and ANT stick being necessary. More modern GPS devices are nearly all Bluetoothed, meaning no capable necessary.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Thanks Martyn, as you can all see, I am no geek! The method for transferring data from a 310XT to a tablet is set out by the wonderful D.C.Rainmaker, but when I tried it things didn't quite work out. It is a testimonial to Daniel's app that even I was shepherded painlessly through the procedure, first by the app and then with real human help, available by email when needed.

In a similar vein, I use http://www.sportablet.com/ which has an App for Android tablet, but also an Uploader for phones
    I used it all the time via USB connection with my Forerunner 305 and my ASUS TF300(which has a fullsized USB port on the keyboard)

Now I have a Forerunner 310xt(thanks Santa!) and I can upload to my Samsung S5 directly from 310 to S5(S5 is ANT+ enabled) and use the ANT+ USB dongle to upload to the TF300

From the App you then have a choice of sharing options, all of which can be done without access to a Windows PC
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/