Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS unit suitable for BG

GPS unit suitable for BG

I am planning to do a Bob Graham over the next couple of years and would do it solo

To give me and my wife reassurance I would need a GPS

This would need to be able to last 24 hours
    Help me navigate if needed
    Help me record the route

Does such a thing exist - I know nothing about GPS units

Cheers

You just described a decent pacer, luxinterior!
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

I used a Suunto Ambit 3 Peak loaded-up with GPX route pieced together from recces (here it is on a map). It shows your position and orientation relative to your defined route in Navigation mode, which is sufficient even at night so long as you're familiar with the route.

Suunto advertise >24hr battery life for "Good" GPS fix (vs high precision which uses more battery), but even with short charging top-ups at support points, it died as I was coming off Robinson. A simple solution would be to borrow a second GPS from someone for backup.

I have a Garmin (I think its a 64s) which I have used on ling runs in the lakes. You can usually buy it with the OS 1:50000 maps built in. I've treated it terribly and it's indestructible (including a night out in a storm on the High Street range which was akin to being in a washing machine). Battery life with a pair of good quality batteries is claimed to be 16 hours, and I've definitely got at least 12 hours out of a pair of Duracell's. Cheap batteries dramatically reduce this though.

Does the job for me, although I really only use it as a backup check of where I am, and don't really build routes or anything into it, but it does all that and more....

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    I am planning to do a Bob Graham over the next couple of years

Cheers
    Isn't that a bit slow?

garmin eTrex you can even replace the two AA batteries and not loose the route.

I’ve been using Garmin Fenix 3 since earlier this year and really pleased with it. The nav function (from pre-loaded gpx files) works very well and the battery life operating in that mode is good. Did Lakes In A Day in 15 hrs 47 mins, and still showed 15% charge available. One key feature of this watch (which is why I chose it), is you can charge it while in use and wearing it. The charging cradle can be worn under the watch on your wrist. Simply then route the cable up your sleeve to a small USB charger carried in a pocket or strapped to your arm.

Many watches terminate the current activity when you connect a charging source.
    Totley AC

Quote Originally Posted by MarkClayton View Post
    I’ve been using Garmin Fenix 3 since earlier this year and really pleased with it. The nav function (from pre-loaded gpx files) works very well and the battery life operating in that mode is good. Did Lakes In A Day in 15 hrs 47 mins, and still showed 15% charge available. One key feature of this watch (which is why I chose it), is you can charge it while in use and wearing it. The charging cradle can be worn under the watch on your wrist. Simply then route the cable up your sleeve to a small USB charger carried in a pocket or strapped to your arm.

Many watches terminate the current activity when you connect a charging source.

All of the Garmins I've had could be charged on the hoof as it were. Though they sometimes have a 'blip', though nothing serious, but it does cause consternation! It's best to re-charge with a fair bit still in the tank!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

On long runs (over 12 hours)I charge my suunto ambit 2 with a monster turbo battery charger and the normal charging cable. I just plug it in and wrapped the cable around my wrist and carry the charger in my hand. Takes about 30 mins. For a 24 hour period I have charged my watch a couple of times. All functions on the watch seem to work ok whilst being charged.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Spr View Post
    On long runs (over 12 hours)I charge my suunto ambit 2 with a monster turbo battery charger and the normal charging cable. I just plug it in and wrapped the cable around my wrist and carry the charger in my hand. Takes about 30 mins. For a 24 hour period I have charged my watch a couple of times. All functions on the watch seem to work ok whilst being charged.

Steve
    I've got an ambit and never thought of charging as I go alomng

when you say a monster turbo battery charger what do you mean

Do you carry the charger with you all the time?