Thread: Training for Wasdale

Training for Wasdale

For the past couple of years my focus has been on ultras - Lakeland 100 and some stuff in the Pyrenees. Next year I want to get back to fell running and would love to do Wasdale

For the Ultras I was doing loads of hill reps and long slow days in the hills (6-7 hours) so I have good but slow endurance

So my question is how should my training differ to be prepared for Wasdale and what is the minimum speed I would need to go to hit the cut offs?
    Cheers

If you have the ability and fitness to break into a trot for at least a reasonable chunk of the first climb, the first CP will be no issue whatsoever, and you should be in good stead for the 2nd. Won't comment any further as other factors then come into play, like route choice,navigation, conditions.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    For the past couple of years my focus has been on ultras - Lakeland 100 and some stuff in the Pyrenees. Next year I want to get back to fell running and would love to do Wasdale

For the Ultras I was doing loads of hill reps and long slow days in the hills (6-7 hours) so I have good but slow endurance

So my question is how should my training differ to be prepared for Wasdale and what is the minimum speed I would need to go to hit the cut offs?
    Cheers
    I just love the idea of someone worrying that the Wasdale race is too short and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I just love the idea of someone worrying that the Wasdale race is too short and fast.
    Me too. I'm definitely the other end of the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post

Cheers
    To answer your question about the required speed to hit the cut offs: I was timed out by a few minutes at the second checkpoint Seatallan last year. My pace over the 12.7km and 1184m ascent was 11:39/km. The cut off was 2h25 and I arrived at 2h28. Yes I am a Strava geek!

To answer your question about training: I'm no coach but I would say your ultra training would be good for Wasdale. There's 9,000 feet of ascent in 21 miles so it's all about climbing. I was overweight when I was timed out which is no good for climbing so I would say be as light as possible! There are plenty of streams and when I have finished Wasdale before I have set off with an empty bottle and filled it up during the race. When I was timed out I didn't have the confidence to set off without water and I carried a litre of water up the first climb.

Brlliant thankyou