Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: So... 2016 then?

Hi Ian, Yes Steve would count as an epic BG, the Dodds were not very friendly for us...... 2001 was a tough year........oh hang on they're all tough on the Heb! We 'rescued' the Greek swimmer from the team - they'd just left him at a swim start (cold wind and rain) and drove off to find their paddler and biker from the previous section - got him in the van as our swimmer was getting ready and as we were just ready to go, his team turned up again.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Master
    At 68 I am not Sure If I have peaked yet just been checking on what I did record on foot, during 2017 which was 6296 km ( or 3912 miles) with 147,527mtrs of ascent, must have taken my eye off the ball somewhere as I was hoping for 6450 km, or just maybe I peaked in 2016, but I will try harder this year.

99% of the mileage was done off road none of it fast but all with my border collie and extremely enjoyable, for those that know where to look my stats are on Strava.

Off to a slow start this year though only done 130 km with 3265 mtrs of ascent, so onwards and forwards.
    The older I get the Faster I was

2018 then for me...

Highs: being generally injury-free, and rising to a number of top 10 finishes across all distances from AS to AL... ok none of them have been Lakeland Classics or English Champs races, but a number of fairly prominent races in there.... Brecon Beacons, Stretton Skyline, Weasdale Horseshoe, and a few others. First time it happened gave me the confidence to believe I could cut it a bit nearer to the front end. Perhaps the most satisfying was Brecon Beacons... hared up the first climb in 3rd and managed to just hold my position, 4th at half way and the leader still in sight... ok I did ultimately fade away and finish 8th, but to be "giving it some" near the front end, in what to me is a well reputed race, did wonders for my confidence.

Other highlights were completing the LDMT classic course with some degree of proficiency, in fairly challenging conditions, around about midway in the results. And building up my training to a regular 40 miles/10000ft weekly average, which has no doubt helped with the results above.

The single most satisfying moment of the year was seeing CP1 below me in the mist in the LDMT, after an hour spent completely alone in the cloud and rain...

Lows: the long distance exploits did not go anywhere near plans... 5 ultras... 2 dnf... 1 did not start... the other two shortened due to weather, and even one of those was blighted with injury. But I shall not be deterred!

Also slight disappointment at not seeing vast improvements in my road/club/xc running... ok I knocked 45secs off my 5km time and am undoubtedly stronger than a year ago, but times in the track etc have not improved much... I guess I do too much racing...

Hardest moment/race: Buttermere Horseshoe was as hard as ever. Ennerdale was not far behind, and doing the 2nd half of it with a shoe missing didn't help. Found a new respect for Peris after racing a little nearer to the front this year... the pain was real. Callow in the heat of summer was probably the single most painful hour of the year though...

Hopes for 2019: would like to continue to improve, possibly get in the top 5 or 6 of a race (a big ask), and get the long-distance exploits back on track. Racing the Tenerife Bluetrail in June, which will be a massive challenge. Also planning a may attempt at Leventon's Line, quite possibly unsupported. If that all goes well I'm planning something even tougher for mid-summer, but I won't shout the odds yet as 2018 has showed me that things don't always go to plan. Of course all the usual favourites are likely to be raced... Haworth Hobble, LM42, Welsh 1000, Peris, LDMT... But continuing to see progression would make 2019 another very satisfying year.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their 2018 and equally looking forward to next year...
    Last edited by Travs; 23-12-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    2018 then for me...

Highs: being generally injury-free, and rising to a number of top 10 finishes across all distances from AS to AL... ok none of them have been Lakeland Classics or English Champs races, but a number of fairly prominent races in there.... Brecon Beacons, Stretton Skyline, Weasdale Horseshoe, and a few others. First time it happened gave me the confidence to believe I could cut it a bit nearer to the front end. Perhaps the most satisfying was Brecon Beacons... hared up the first climb in 3rd and managed to just hold my position, 4th at half way and the leader still in sight... ok I did ultimately fade away and finish 8th, but to be "giving it some" near the front end, in what to me is a well reputed race, did wonders for my confidence.

Other highlights were completing the LDMT classic course with some degree of proficiency, in fairly challenging conditions, around about midway in the results. And building up my training to a regular 40 miles/10000ft weekly average, which has no doubt helped with the results above.

The single most satisfying moment of the year was seeing CP1 below me in the mist in the LDMT, after an hour spent completely alone in the cloud and rain...

Lows: the long distance exploits did not go anywhere near plans... 5 ultras... 2 dnf... 1 did not start... the other two shortened due to weather, and even one of those was blighted with injury. But I shall not be deterred!

Also slight disappointment at not seeing vast improvements in my road/club/xc running... ok I knocked 45secs off my 5km time and am undoubtedly stronger than a year ago, but times in the track etc have not improved much... I guess I do too much racing...

Hardest moment/race: Buttermere Horseshoe was as hard as ever. Ennerdale was not far behind, and doing the 2nd half of it with a shoe missing didn't help. Found a new respect for Peris after racing a little nearer to the front this year... the pain was real. Callow in the heat of summer was probably the single most painful hour of the year though...

Hopes for 2019: would like to continue to improve, possibly get in the top 5 or 6 of a race (a big ask), and get the long-distance exploits back on track. Racing the Tenerife Bluetrail in June, which will be a massive challenge. Also planning a may attempt at Leventon's Line, quite possibly unsupported. If that all goes well I'm planning something even tougher for mid-summer, but I won't shout the odds yet as 2018 has showed me that things don't always go to plan. Of course all the usual favourites are likely to be raced... Haworth Hobble, LM42, Welsh 1000, Peris, LDMT... But continuing to see progression would make 2019 another very satisfying year.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their 2018 and equally looking forward to next year...
    Interesting read Pete, all the best for 2019.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    2018 then for me...

very well done Pete. Its great to read about your training and exploits, very inspirational.Wish more people including myself could/would post on here a bit more often. I enjoy the reads and the info. Good luck with your Leverton. On a map it really does have a line!!have done most of second half and its not so bad. think the nav difficulties are second quarter of the route. Would love to have done it but I think knee now would just not allow. I am hoping to perhaps do a very slow and careful FGR this year or at least a Abrahams Tea room round. The secret seems to be not jarring my knee or ankle as this definitely sets off the pain. best wishes to all on here in 2019. Simon.

Cheers Daz, and good to see you at so many races this year!

Thanks Simon, I remember meeting you at Kentmere 2015 which was my first ever Lake District race... things have moved on a little since then! Good luck with the Frog Graham, I was chatting to a triathlete friend recently and they were speaking in awe of that particular challenge... Yes the Leventon's is an interesting route to say the least! For some reason I've never been as inspired by the Bob Graham as compared to most... without meaning any disrespect at all to that particular round, I'm sure I'll "have a bash" at it one day, but I find many other routes more interesting. Wainwright 7 Summits, or the Scottish 4000ers are two that easily spring to mind. That Gofar website certainly has a lot to answer for! But if I'm going to do any challenge i'd much rather do it solo...

Good luck everyone for 2019....

2018. Hmm. A memorable year but not in a way I anticipated.
    Started really well with a win in the O50 South Wales winter league snatched away by 0.4 of a point over 8 races. Surely someone could have called that a draw?? But still, 2nd in my last year of that age group is still pleasing. So yes, I was looking forwards to a new start as an O60 next year. But grim reaper had his first glance in my direction and put fur in my arteries which has meant no more racing.
    So, for the coming year I,m hoping to persuade a few fellow non racers into ruddles rule attempts at South Wales traverse and Welsh 3000,s.

Nota. Bad year looking back. Ran 6/12 races in the Run further series and managed to win four of them. SW100 was tough. Also successfully completed four MMs. Highlights though were Northern Traverse( what an epic journey) and coming so far up the field and winn8ng by such a margin ( that won’t happen once other women know about it). Also loved the GRP which was also a tougher course than usual, th8nking I had done badly and then a surprise podium. Lows include still not bein* able to sort out my foot issue and getting even slower on short meant to be faster runs.
    Last edited by karen nash; 27-12-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Nota. Bad yea4 look8ng back. Ran 6/12 rac3s in 5he Runfurther series and managed to win four of them. SW100 was tough. Also successfully completed four MMs. Highlights though were Northern Traverse( what an epic journey) and coming so far up the field and winn8ng by such a margin ( that won’t happen once other women know about it). Also loved the GRP which was also a tougher course than usual, th8nking I had done badly and then a surprise podium. Lots include still not bein* able to sort out my foot issue and getting even slower on short meant to be faster runs.
    Karen, you’re a machine!
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

A slowish machine that grinds long miles out Darren. Have entered a race here, another 100, butmuch less climb and already I am worrying I won’t be able to walk as much as usual