Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fighter Jets

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Nothing new here. They've been using the Lakes for practice as long as I can remember. Dunmail and the vale of Keswick always seem to be popular as does Borrowdale. I remember being up on maiden moor a few months ago when the jet (Tornado?) went down the valley below me. You could actually make out the pilot.
    The most disconcerting thing I find is that you don't hear them coming. Thankfully I have not been anywhere perilous when they do as they always make me jump!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    There has been a greater concentration of low-flying planes and jets coming over Ambleside/Windermere in the past 24 hours than any other time I can remember in the last 12 years of living in the area. It makes me wonder what's going on...

I actually find them part of what makes the Lakes the Lakes. I love them. I've watched them fly below me many times when I have been up on the tops. I think they're fascinating. Counter to what I've read/been told sheep don't seem to pay a blind bit of notice to them...

I know it's a touch geeky, but if someone could post a link as to where I could try and identify them; specific to those that fly over Cumbria, I'd like that!
    It certainly has been busy! Like theNoor I enjoy them. I don't know how low they are allowed to go but they are often below the level of the top of Loughrigg. On their standard route they are visible from my favourite lounge chair.

My mum has a picture, taken In the early 70s, of a Army PT instructor doing press ups between Adam and Eve on the top of Tryfan with a Harrier (I think) framed between the stones.

Besides Ogwen Valley, watching them bank round the gap above Ogwen Cottage, there are loads around Mid-Wales (Arans, Cadair) often in pairs doing exercises between Athan and Valley.

The Mach loop (mid Wales) is quite an attraction for photographers and fighter plane spotters.

http://machloop.co.uk

Master
    [QUOTE=wjb;629667

Has anyone else experienced this on the fells? Who knows, maybe I should just stop moaning![/QUOTE]

Love them pure poetry in motion and for me they are a integral part of the Lakes or for that matter any mountainous region
    The older I get the Faster I was

Man up?

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Man up?
    I doubt AW would have approved of the noise!

In comparison to the 70's, things are much less busy/noisy.
    Back then, with the cold war still very hot, low level flying was a massive commitment for a much larger RAF. And the planes were often first generation NoiseMonsters such as the Lightening. Until you've seen/heard one of them do a skid turn through Cwm Idwal, you ain't seen nuthin!

WJB, it is an ungodly sound and a knee trembling experience. Sorry you got the heebeegeebies but its the sound of freedom (or domination depending on your POV).

I like the stories about being able to see into the cockpit. The planes really do get close as they skim a ridge. I know, cos I was back seat in a Hawk once as we flashed through Roman Gap in the Beacons and I swear I could tell the walker we skimmed was using a 1:25,000 map, not a 1:50,000!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ning-timetable

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post

I know it's a touch geeky, but if someone could post a link as to where I could try and identify them; specific to those that fly over Cumbria, I'd like that!