Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fighter Jets

I love it! Get very excited when in the Lakes and (Monday to Friday) I know there will be low flying aircraft. Live in the Peaks and love it when we have the same coming over by Hope Valley, Ladybower. We all know the history of Ladybower and I get quite a thrill when they go over. Keep at it lads & lasses. Our Grandkids were ... WOW! how cool is that :-)

Here in the north Pennines, Thursday afternoons seem to be a regular slot, although things quietened down considerably over the Iraq - Afghanistan period! Usually there are a pair of jets together with a single propeller,double-seater(tucano?).

I've also encountered, on the very rare occasion, extremely low flying solitary jets roaring down the dale at night! These blighters, fly so very low and noisily that they shake the soot loose out of the chimney into the fire-place.

Living down wind of the Warcop ranges we also regularly have Chinooks clipping the fell tops around us (usually heard a good 15 minutes before they arrive, and 15 minutes afterwards, so hardly stealthy), and the frantic rattle of large bore heavy machine guns, not to mention the shelling.
    The Lakes have got off lightly!

My only real gripe is that we locals aren't issued with shoulder-held ground-to-air missiles to give their training an authentic twist
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I like the stories about being able to see into the cockpit. The planes really do get close as they skim a ridge. I know, cos I was back seat in a Hawk once as we flashed through Roman Gap in the Beacons and I swear I could tell the walker we skimmed was using a 1:25,000 map, not a 1:50,000!!
    Wow back seat in a Hawk. Well jel.

I was allowed to press the starter button on this. something very special about fast jets.

20150124_085112.jpg

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Although I haven't had any experiences as frightening as wjb in the original post, I don't like sudden loud noises when I am in the mountains. The area that I remember hearing them most is Dolgellau/Machynlleth, which I now know (thanks to molehill) is the "mach loop".

Between the ages of 9 and 17 I lived close to an airfield (Cranfield, Bedfordshire). In our family, we always referred to the low-flying, noisy aircraft that sometimes came over us as "The enemy".

Well done sbrt. My greatest regret is I had a trip in a 2 seat frightening all teed up but then one had a landing accident and they grounded the fleet. The chance never came again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Well done sbrt. My greatest regret is I had a trip in a 2 seat frightening all teed up but then one had a landing accident and they grounded the fleet. The chance never came again.
    Crikey, that would have been something to share with the grandkids! I love the Lightning, what an aircraft it was! It scared the poop out the Eastern Bloc airforces, they had nothing to touch it.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

When I lived in West Cumbria I used to love seeing this. I would regularly look down on various planes from trainer jets to large transport planes in Ennerdale valley. The only time they ever bothered me was when I was on night shift as they would turn in from the sea and go over my house in Keekle on route to the valley and wake me up.

It was the unexpectedness that I didn't like. The plane suddenly appeared out of nowhere overhead as I couldn't hear it coming. Then there was an eerie silence for a few seconds, then the shocking sound of the engines. They are pretty impressive machines I just wish I could hear them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    It was the unexpectedness that I didn't like. The plane suddenly appeared out of nowhere overhead as I couldn't hear it coming. Then there was an eerie silence for a few seconds, then the shocking sound of the engines. They are pretty impressive machines I just wish I could hear them coming!
    A stealthy approach is what their training is all about! If you could hear them approaching, they would have "failed".
    I worked at B.Ae. Systems in Lancashire for over 30 years and could regale you with many tales of what the test pilots got up to over the airfields and production hangars, let alone "out in the wilds" ..... but I might be in contravention of certain bits of paper that I signed.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I love the Lightning, what an aircraft it was! It scared the poop out the Eastern Bloc airforces, they had nothing to touch it.
    Yes, a real Cold War Tool, all about performance, absolutely no concessions to efficiency.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!