Thread: Pennine Way training

Pennine Way training

Advice required folks. I was planning to do the PW in April in 5 days but have decided (for reasons I won't bore you with) to enter the Montane summer race in June instead. I've been focussing on distance and recce runs between family things and it all feels fine but I don't think I'm gaining fitness as quickly as I did when I focussed on climbing pre both BGRs (summer and winter).

Despite the PW being much more of a distance proposition, I'm wondering if focussing upon distance is just tiring me out. I don't want to rock up to the start line jaded. I am contemplating shifting the focus back onto climbing. My theory is you build more strength and can probably get a better workout in less time.

the adage of 'time on your feet' worked for me before but if you extend that to regular fifty mile days, aren't you just going to end up wasted?

10,000 feet per week made me stronger than I've ever been - I'm tempted to convert back to it. Any thoughts welcome..

Mark, as you mention "50 mile days" I'm assuming that you've read Mike Cudahy's book "Wild Trails to Far Horizons"?
    Before each of his PBW attempts ( he was tilting at Joss' record and eventually broke the "3 day barrier" ) he would round off his build up with a 50 miler. IIRC, he was not running that distance on a regular basis, just the one maybe 2 - 3 weeks or so before each attempt. It was usually a run home from work, Birmingham to Buxton.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Very interesting topic. I intend to do the 2018 summer race, should it be held, and my intended approach is similar to what you have suggested.

There will of course be a general increase in mileage, climb. And will be doing longer races, but I don't actually intend to do more than about 70 miles in one sitting, much before the end of the year.

Whilst the effort and dedication required can't be underestimated, I think the mental planning and knowledge of your equipment, and a solid game plan for the race (which I have yet to figure out) also count for a heck of a lot.

Very interested to hear other opinions and thoughts.
    Last edited by Travs; 24-01-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Super Moderator
    Head and feet are more of a worry than your legs. Bisters, trench-foot or your head "going" are the main reasons for folk dropping out is my guess. Like with BG training the odd easyish week isn't a bad thing. Training has to fit into "normal" life and there probably just isn't time for most people to run regular 50 milers
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Reassuring stuff, thanks all. I think the fellsman (7 weeks before) will be my peak single event. Consecutive days are ideal but hard to build in. Gear and the working of my head - two things I'm familiar with and have tested, although this is a new level. The prospect of trenchfoot is interesting. Regular sock changes perhaps?
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 24-01-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Super Moderator
    Foot care would be my number one priority if I was considering a Spine / PW outing especially summer or winter. A hot summer week is potentially harder than winter time
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Hello Mark, any further news on the summer race?

Doesn't seem to be massively publicised, and the race roster hasn't been updated for a couple of months, I assume all is ok and still going ahead?

As I mentioned previously, I've got more than one eye on the 2018 version of the summer race, should it happen, so I'll be watching and hoping it's a success this year.