Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road running at night

Road running at night

Hi
    I know this is a fell running site but I expect we've all had to nip onto the road at some point.
    Assuming you have already donned the reflective clothing and torches, I wanted to hear people's thoughts on which side of the road you should run if there is no pavement. I'm imagining a narrow but no single lane road with high hedges on both sides.
    I know attempting to run on the outside of a bend will always be the best as it gives drivers the best chance of seeing you but if it is a bendy road, what then?
    The traditional advice to walkers has always been to run against the traffic (right hand side of the road) but I'm not sure this applies to runners as they are moving more quickly. I think this because it is more likely that a car approaching from behind will have seen you on your approach. If they didn't because you have already entered the bend then the chances are you will have exited the bend before they have passed you. If it a very long sweeping bend then possibly crossing the road for that bend may be better (or just running faster for that bend).
    If you are running on the inside of the bend against the traffic then they have no time to see you at all and have seen several runners who have literally run into the front of a car!

The highway code rule 2 says walkers should walk against the traffic so they can see approaching cars but I'm not worried about me seeing the cars, I'm worried about them seeing me!

Most forums I have seen on the topic say run against the traffic but it doesn't make sense to me.

Any thoughts?

Hi
    One advantage at night is that you can often see the car's headlights reflected around a corner before you hear the vehicle itself. You can also detect headlight behind you as they shine past but only if you have your own light dimmed. And yes reflective clothing, a single light can confuse and dazzle oncoming drivers although my experience is mainly from cycling.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    What is this "road running"?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Seriously, I used to go out on very rural lanes in the winter as it was the only way I could get some serious hills in when it was dark. They were quite narrow so I doubt which side actually made a huge difference. However, I did use a very bright head torch - so bright cars used to dip their headlights thinking I was an oncoming vehicle and that certainly made me feel a lot safer. I also had rear facing red LEDs etc. I've always thought it best to run facing the oncoming traffic if only that you stand a better chance of getting out of the way if they don't see you.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

On quite narrow roads I move sides to be on the outside of turns and the opposite side of the road when the odd car does come along.

I hate it when drivers put their lights on FULL BEAM, thinking that they are helping you. It's the same when I'm walking the dog on a nearby lane on winter evenings. I need a head torch that fights back!

Running into the traffic givesyou a chance to dive out of the way if the vehicle hasn't seen you and is coming too close. It is also worth ignoring this advice and crossing the road to run on the 'outside' of a sharp bend, so drivers can see you sooner - just watch your back :-)

Interesting question! I'd say, usually best to face oncoming traffic for all the reasons above, and bearing in mind the closing speed of a car at 30-40mph is not that much different to a walker at 3mph compared to a runner at, say 8mph. That's not always the case though, for example I sometimes run to work along country lanes. the predominant flow of traffic is coming towards me - by about 10 cars to1 - so it makes eminent sense to run with my back to the traffic in this case.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnstein View Post
    Running into the traffic givesyou a chance to dive out of the way if the vehicle hasn't seen you and is coming too close. It is also worth ignoring this advice and crossing the road to run on the 'outside' of a sharp bend, so drivers can see you sooner - just watch your back :-)
    Aye, that was my thoughts. Main of the time towards incoming traffic, then common sense and safety takes over and would run what I perceived to be the safest line on the bend's.

I like to have a good head torch on too. Mainly pointed towards the road, although if I feel threatened or endangered I have been known to look at the driver.
    Self preservation is a powerful sense.

Not long before the lighter nights and the fields and fells are back to train on.

All the best.��

Driving back from town at 7am this morning, pitch dark, thick mist, country road. In my headlights I just picked out what looked like reflection of an animals eyes - rabbit, cat?
    I swung out and it was a runner, dressed in black/dark clothing, no headtorch, no high Viz, wrong side of the road. The reflection that alerted me was simply the reflective tab on the back of his trainers.

He either has a death wish, or is simply stupid. Unbelievable.