Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can One Ever Have Enough?

Can One Ever Have Enough?

Following the trauma of a shoe lace breaking on the start line during that final tightening, and having been a planner in a previous existence, I have tended to retain the laces of shoes after disposal in case of a similar emergency.

An audit has revealed I now have at least 25 spare pairs in all the hues associated with Walsh, INOV-8, Salomon etc over many years which prompts the question; "how many spare laces does a fell runner really need?"
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Graham, I have a shoebox full of them ( from both running & "street" shoes ). Only a couple of weeks ago I delved into the box and retrieved a pair of "replacements" for my "best going out" shoes.
    With regard to your quoted scenario, did you have a spare pair with you on the start line ...... otherwise your admirable thriftiness ( or is that typical tight fisted Tyke? ) is all in vain?
    Could be introduced as mandatory kit in the bumbag ?

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Following the trauma of a shoe lace breaking on the start line during that final tightening, and having been a planner in a previous existence, I have tended to retain the laces of shoes after disposal in case of a similar emergency.

An audit has revealed I now have at least 25 spare pairs in all the hues associated with Walsh, INOV-8, Salomon etc over many years which prompts the question; "how many spare laces does a fell runner really need?"
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Unfortunately until recently I also had the shoes to go with the laces.
    Having been compared to Imelda Marcos far too often by friends and family, I had a clear out at new year. Now I am down to just 4 pairs of active running shoes (and 3 pairs of cycling), thus firmly ensconcing MrsS as the shoe horder of the family.
    I have however, retained 1 pair of each length lace (inov-8, salomon and la sportiva) "just in case"....
    We found things to do
    In stormy weather
    Long may you run.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    With regard to your quoted scenario, did you have a spare pair with you on the start line ...... otherwise your admirable thriftiness ( or is that typical tight fisted Tyke? ) is all in vain?

Ian.
    Alas, alas! They were the wrong shade so useless, but the adrenaline rush meant I had a storming, prize- winning race.

Thinks...

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Alas, alas! They were the wrong shade so useless, but the adrenaline rush meant I had a storming, prize- winning race.

Thinks...
    Oh no ..... don't tell me that you are purposely fraying the laces of all your running shoes; in search of a further adrenalin rush and more prizes?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Oh no ..... don't tell me that you are purposely fraying the laces of all your running shoes; in search of a further adrenalin rush and more prizes?
    Ssshh.

The answer, like with bikes and shoes, is n +1
    Can't climb for toffee...

Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The answer, like with bikes and shoes, is n +1
    Surely with shoes it's n+2 ?

I keep useful-looking laces like seemingly we all do. This came in handy when a lace snapped on an old pair of brown shoes that had largely been relegated to gardening shoes. I found the nearest shade of laces from my extensive collection - a faded orange pair from some new balance fell shoes I think. I put these in and proudly showed my family how clever I'd been. My daughter replied "yes they look OK [building up my self-esteem, ready for...], they look like clown shoes [...destroying it]."

Thankfully, my tightness outstrips my sense of fashion.
    No longer "resting"

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    ... they look like clown shoes[...destroying it]
    Clown Shoes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNay_f2zaJ0

Not a hit in the USA but, strangely, this got to #35 in the UK in May 1962. Burnette drowned at the age of 30 two years later but by then he was a forgotten man.